Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Replacing an 009 with a Mallory, What do I need?
terrymason
post May 3 2007, 09:45 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,174

I'm thinking about replacing my 009 distributor with a Mallory from air cooled. I currently have dual dells on a 1.8L engine. I've got a stock boshe blue coil.

Here are my questions:

1. Will I need to replace my coil, wires, or plugs with this upgrade?
2. Is this really as easy as dropping it in and timing the car?
3. Can I leave my ignition on and listen to the radio in my driveway, or will this burn up the mallory?
4. Will I be able to move this over when I swap to a 2.0?
5. Will this "interface" with my Innovative wide band o2 sensor at all? I don't really know what I mean here, just wondering if there may be more functionality.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ConeDodger
post May 3 2007, 10:07 AM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(terrymason @ May 3 2007, 08:45 AM) *

I'm thinking about replacing my 009 distributor with a Mallory from air cooled. I currently have dual dells on a 1.8L engine. I've got a stock boshe blue coil.

Here are my questions:

No

Yes

3. Can I leave my ignition on and listen to the radio in my driveway, or will this burn up the mallory?

Yes

Yes

5. Will this "interface" with my Innovative wide band o2 sensor at all? I don't really know what I mean here, just wondering if there may be more functionality.

If you have a weld in bung and an O2 sensor or you are just using the LM to tune with a tailpipe sniffer it will work. It doesn't "interface" directly if that is what you mean.

+Quote Post
terrymason
post May 3 2007, 10:13 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,174

QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ May 3 2007, 08:07 AM) *

Here are my questions:

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

If you have a weld in bung and an O2 sensor or you are just using the LM to tune with a tailpipe sniffer it will work. It doesn't "interface" directly if that is what you mean.

On the LM - I've got a weld in bung to sniff the exahust. I was wondering perhaps if the mallory could be influenced / timed by the LM.
+Quote Post
So.Cal.914
post May 3 2007, 10:44 AM
Post #4

"...And it has a front trunk too."

Member No.: 1,658
Region Association: None

QUOTE(terrymason @ May 3 2007, 09:13 AM) *

Here are my questions:

No **Yes- Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon you
will have the uncontrollable urge to replace everything with the best...there's no escape.

Yes ** No- Don't forget you will be in the engine compartment
for a long period of time and you will have a chance to count just how many things need attention. Powder coating the engine tin will be a must...

Yes **Well...I put my radio on a non switched hotwire (fused) so I don't have anything else drawing power that does not need to.

Yes ** No- by then there will be something better and you will
just have to get it...

Nope and no I-PODS [color=#FF0000]eather.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post May 3 2007, 11:17 AM
Post #5

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ May 3 2007, 09:44 AM) *

QUOTE(terrymason @ May 3 2007, 09:13 AM) *

Here are my questions:

No **Yes- Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon you
will have the uncontrollable urge to replace everything with the best...there's no escape.

Yes ** No- Don't forget you will be in the engine compartment
for a long period of time and you will have a chance to count just how many things need attention. Powder coating the engine tin will be a must...

Yes **Well...I put my radio on a non switched hotwire (fused) so I don't have anything else drawing power that does not need to.

Yes ** No- by then there will be something better and you will
just have to get it...

Nope and no I-PODS [color=#FF0000]eather.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Gotta love a smart-ass! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) I have patients ask me if they are going to die all the time.... It is really hard to resist the urge to say "well, yes... but we all do eventually."
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 04:19 AM