Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Can I get rid of these ?, Cooling doors
JBart
post May 5 2007, 01:17 AM
Post #1

UNDER CONSTRUTION

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,019

I need some help here . I dropped my engine to fix some major oil leaks . I'm wondering if I can take this nonworking assy. out while I have the tin off I don't have a T-stat. so i'm thinking it won't hurt to remove them. Am I correct in my thoughts? Here are some pics. of what i'm talking about.

Thanks,
jbart

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
computers4kids
post May 5 2007, 09:01 AM
Post #2

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

QUOTE(BarberDave @ May 5 2007, 03:36 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
I would find a T-stat ,pulley.and wire to make the thing fuction properly. Porsche engineers disigned it that way for a reason. my 2 cents Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

QUOTE(MecGen @ May 5 2007, 06:10 AM) *

Hi

Sorry man, you got to keep em. Get the T-stat working, even in Cali. When you remove flaps in the cooling system, (they actually route air to the rite places,) the motor will run hotter in all the wrong places.

The cooling system is very well thought of, but it needs to be working on a T4.

Later

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 5 2007, 07:23 AM) *

QUOTE(MecGen @ May 5 2007, 05:10 AM) *

Hi

Sorry man, you got to keep em. Get the T-stat working, even in Cali. When you remove flaps in the cooling system, (they actually route air to the rite places,) the motor will run hotter in all the wrong places.

The cooling system is very well thought of, but it needs to be working on a T4.

Later

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

I agree 100%. Street cars need these pieces to work. Everything is there for a very good reason.

If this a street 914 you will be real sorry if you don't keep the flaps...by default if the thermostat cable breaks, the flaps are positioned for full cooling. You can buy a new thermostat and cable from evparts for less than $100. You want your engine to warm up...if not, the wear on the engine running cold longer comes at a high price. The type three coil opens 10 degrees sooner than the OEM type 4...but not that big of a deal.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post May 5 2007, 09:20 AM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

"If this a street 914 you will be real sorry if you don't keep the flaps...by default if the thermostat cable breaks, the flaps are positioned for full cooling. You can buy a new thermostat and cable from evparts for less than $100. You want your engine to warm up...if not, the wear on the engine running cold longer comes at a high price. The type three coil opens 10 degrees sooner than the OEM type 4...but not that big of a deal."

Of course you shouldn't let the fact that the T3 part won't fit get in your way ..................... How ya gonna attach the wire? T4 ones are available. For the street, running the flaps in the default position is a good option. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
computers4kids
post May 5 2007, 09:28 AM
Post #4

Love these little cars!

Member No.: 4,253
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 5 2007, 08:20 AM) *

"If this a street 914 you will be real sorry if you don't keep the flaps...by default if the thermostat cable breaks, the flaps are positioned for full cooling. You can buy a new thermostat and cable from evparts for less than $100. You want your engine to warm up...if not, the wear on the engine running cold longer comes at a high price. The type three coil opens 10 degrees sooner than the OEM type 4...but not that big of a deal."

Of course you shouldn't let the fact that the T3 part won't fit get in your way ..................... How ya gonna attach the wire? T4 ones are available. For the street, running the flaps in the default position is a good option. The Cap'n

The T3 does fit...EVparts sells a cable kit with the correct T4 coupler for $20...it's all plug-n-play. I didn't realize T4 thermostat's were available...I couldn't find one when I was looking for one a few months ago. I wanted a new one...
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 04:13 AM