Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Check those lug nuts, see video
URY914
post Jun 13 2007, 06:26 AM
Post #1

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Group: Members
Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

http://www.teamjamoto.com/dixeregionpage.htm

This is why there are tech inspections. Maybe he was too busy puttin' on those race shoes.....
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jhadler
post Jun 13 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #2

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

From another discussion about this, it's possible that the guy was given 1/2" lugs by the tire shop, and not 12 mm. It's a subtle difference, but 12 mm is slightly smaller than 1/2" and there was probably only a couple thousandths of an inch of actual thread that was engaging the stud. Just enough to resist the torque of the wrench, but not enough to survive the lateral loading of race tires on pavement. So the threads just stripped out of the lugs and off they came...

Oh, I don't think the studs sheared, I think they're just short... which would explain why the wheels came off so easilly. Longer studs and at least they might have stayed with the car after shaking violently...

Of course, I could be wrong...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
byndbad914
post Jun 14 2007, 12:51 AM
Post #3

shoehorn and some butter - it fits

Member No.: 5,463
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jhadler @ Jun 13 2007, 08:35 PM) *

From another discussion about this, it's possible that the guy was given 1/2" lugs by the tire shop, and not 12 mm. It's a subtle difference, but 12 mm is slightly smaller than 1/2" and there was probably only a couple thousandths of an inch of actual thread that was engaging the stud. Just enough to resist the torque of the wrench, but not enough to survive the lateral loading of race tires on pavement. So the threads just stripped out of the lugs and off they came...

I actually thought of this later as well as a possibility, and that somehow the thread pitch is similar enough too to get them on. Just seems like you would have to be a real dipshit to not notice that. I put every lug nut on my car by hand and run them down on the threads by hand in an attempt to notice if a thread had become "boogered" or damaged and make sure they "feel" right. It is really bad practice to run lugs down with an airgun or wrench of any sort. IMO.

Oh, I don't think the studs sheared, I think they're just short... which would explain why the wheels came off so easilly. Longer studs and at least they might have stayed with the car after shaking violently...

Of course, I could be wrong...

-Josh2

If you watch the vid again you will see the first hub they focus on is the left rear and those studs are sheared off (you don't see protruding studs and you don't see holes, meaning the sheared off stud is left behind plugging them). It looks like I see one hole implying that stud came out or was missing to begin with. The other hubs appear to have complete studs.

It is just crazy that all four came off at one time - the statistical odds of that must be pretty impressive. I need to play poker with this guy for money as with his luck I clearly cannot lose! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
URY914   Check those lug nuts   Jun 13 2007, 06:26 AM
grantsfo   Holy moleee! How did he not feel those wheels...   Jun 13 2007, 08:37 AM
URY914   I don't how you miss putting ALL the nuts on t...   Jun 13 2007, 09:15 AM
mudfoot76   I saw this on Jalopnik last night. Apparently his ...   Jun 13 2007, 09:19 AM
ConeDodger   I saw this on Jalopnik last night. Apparently his...   Jun 13 2007, 03:57 PM
Joe Ricard   Stupid people do stupid things. I know because I ...   Jun 13 2007, 10:07 AM
SirAndy   :WTF: this is funny and scary at the same time ....   Jun 13 2007, 10:59 AM
Blood red 914-6gt   I have know idea how anyone could let this happen....   Jun 13 2007, 11:23 AM
jhadler   Yeah, I saw that a couple days ago. If it wasn...   Jun 13 2007, 12:21 PM
byndbad914   Yeah, I saw that a couple days ago. If it wasn...   Jun 13 2007, 05:27 PM
sendjonathanmail   see the members rides gallery??? :rotfl::rotfl:...   Jun 13 2007, 12:46 PM
Blood red 914-6gt   :rotfl: You would think they would at least choose...   Jun 13 2007, 12:56 PM
DerekKim   Is it just me or are his shorts just a little too ...   Jun 13 2007, 02:14 PM
Blood red 914-6gt   :WTF: Sorry, I wasn't looking at the guys shor...   Jun 13 2007, 03:16 PM
DerekKim   How could you not they were right there in your fa...   Jun 13 2007, 03:36 PM
Joe Ricard   Um Derek, My mom says you can't come over any...   Jun 13 2007, 03:49 PM
jhadler   From another discussion about this, it's possi...   Jun 13 2007, 10:35 PM
byndbad914   From another discussion about this, it's poss...   Jun 14 2007, 12:51 AM
DerekKim   Dang Joe you caught me! Yeah my lug bolts to...   Jun 13 2007, 11:27 PM
sww914   It's a good thing he set the parking brake bef...   Jun 14 2007, 01:30 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 12:25 AM