Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> looking for euro or quality pistons for 1.7, information on the good and bad out there
orange914
post Jun 19 2007, 03:21 PM
Post #1

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,818
Region Association: Northern California

what new o.e.m. quality (raised compresion) piston/cylendars out there for my 1.7? what oversize can i go to (without heating problem or case/ head machining)?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 19 2007, 04:30 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Pelican's 90mm piston/cylinder sets are NOT OE. The Cap'n
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jun 19 2007, 07:15 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 19 2007, 03:30 PM) *

i need to look up 1.7 spec's i assume 90mm is 2.0 bore? i'm still looking for answers on what the largest cylendar size is i can use with out machining to case/heads and are there heaing issues as the walls get thinner as i've seen with type I. i also hear stories about made in mexico pistons (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) i'm ready to buy pistons/heads and want the proper set up gaining as much reliable h.p. as realistic while doing this.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 19 2007, 07:29 PM
Post #4

Cap'n Krusty

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 19 2007, 06:15 PM) *

i need to look up 1.7 spec's i assume 90mm is 2.0 bore? i'm still looking for answers on what the largest cylendar size is i can use with out machining to case/heads and are there heaing issues as the walls get thinner as i've seen with type I. i also hear stories about made in mexico pistons (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) i'm ready to buy pistons/heads and want the proper set up gaining as much reliable h.p. as realistic while doing this.

No, 90mm (as someone else just said) is 1.7 bore. 94mm is 2 litre (they also said that). 93mm is 1.8. The 93s and 94s drop in the case, but not into the heads. 94s have a different pin height, so you need the appropriate crankshaft and rods. If you're gonna buy heads, 1.7s are essentially unavailable, so you end up buying 1.8 or 2 liter heads. In that case, you need the appropriate pistons and cylinders. I have a set of K&S 1.7 914 pistons (higher compression than the T4 or Bus), but I want an arm and a leg for them. If you want to big bore, 96s seem to work OK, but larger sizes MAY have temperature issues. BEWARE that there are a lot of seriously substandard 94mm piston/cylinder sets out there. OE 93mm sets are NLA, too, AFIK.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jun 19 2007, 08:02 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 19 2007, 06:29 PM) *

No, 90mm (as someone else just said) is 1.7 bore. 94mm is 2 litre (they also said that). 93mm is 1.8. The 93s and 94s drop in the case, but not into the heads. 94s have a different pin height, so you need the appropriate crankshaft and rods. If you're gonna buy heads, 1.7s are essentially unavailable, so you end up buying 1.8 or 2 liter heads. In that case, you need the appropriate pistons and cylinders. I have a set of K&S 1.7 914 heads (higher compression than the T4 or Bus), but I want an arm and a leg for them. If you want to big bore, 96s seem to work OK, but larger sizes MAY have temperature issues. BEWARE that there are a lot of seriously substandard 94mm piston/cylinder sets out there. OE 93mm sets are NLA, too, AFIK.

The Cap'n

o.k. so... if i used the largest size drop in piston, 93mm (stock compression?) in my 1.7 lower end with a set of 2.0 heads this should be maximum reliable bolt on h.p. i'm thinking about the new casting larger valve 2.0 heads by len whats-his-name. i have 3 sets of 1.7 heads to work with/trade or core. i live in the hot central valley of ca. and am concerned about heat so 96's are out anyway.
if i'm correct about the above combo. p.m. me with information on your 2.0 heads (valve size ext...) and 93mm (how do the pistons compare to o.e.m. quality?) and a price. i think i've figured out what i need and am ready to purchase right combo from right source.
mike 209-537-3749
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 19 2007, 08:25 PM
Post #6

Cap'n Krusty

QUOTE(orange914 @ Jun 19 2007, 07:02 PM) *

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 19 2007, 06:29 PM) *

No, 90mm (as someone else just said) is 1.7 bore. 94mm is 2 litre (they also said that). 93mm is 1.8. The 93s and 94s drop in the case, but not into the heads. 94s have a different pin height, so you need the appropriate crankshaft and rods. If you're gonna buy heads, 1.7s are essentially unavailable, so you end up buying 1.8 or 2 liter heads. In that case, you need the appropriate pistons and cylinders. I have a set of K&S 1.7 914 heads (higher compression than the T4 or Bus), but I want an arm and a leg for them. If you want to big bore, 96s seem to work OK, but larger sizes MAY have temperature issues. BEWARE that there are a lot of seriously substandard 94mm piston/cylinder sets out there. OE 93mm sets are NLA, too, AFIK.

The Cap'n

o.k. so... if i used the largest size drop in piston, 93mm (stock compression?) in my 1.7 lower end with a set of 2.0 heads this should be maximum reliable bolt on h.p. i'm thinking about the new casting larger valve 2.0 heads by len whats-his-name. i have 3 sets of 1.7 heads to work with/trade or core. i live in the hot central valley of ca. and am concerned about heat so 96's are out anyway.
if i'm correct about the above combo. p.m. me with information on your 2.0 heads (valve size ext...) and 93mm (how do the pistons compare to o.e.m. quality?) and a price. i think i've figured out what i need and am ready to purchase right combo from right source.
mike 209-537-3749

I'm sorry. I typed "heads" and I meant Pistons. I have no heads for sale.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
orange914
post Jun 19 2007, 09:22 PM
Post #7

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 19 2007, 07:25 PM) *

I'm sorry. I typed "heads" and I meant Pistons. I have no heads for sale.

The Cap'n

o.k. so what do you have in the way of 93's and cost?
thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 07:32 AM