Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Do CW's use metric washers?, How far does their "weenie-ness" go?
ptravnic
post Jun 19 2007, 04:39 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 747
Region Association: None

So, anyone want to represent the CW contingent?

This was just a random Q that popped into my head while I was @ the hardware store getting a couple M6 bolts...

-pt
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
ptravnic
post Jun 20 2007, 07:36 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 747
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 20 2007, 12:59 AM) *

Beyond the CW issue, metric washers fit as designed, SAE washers basically don't. Quarter inch is far too big to give the design function given by 6mm, 5/16" is pretty close to 8mm, and there's nothing close to 7, 10, and 12mm. Why sacrifice function when the correct pieces are readily available. Besides, ours is the only country still using SAE hardware, and that has left the automotive sector big time. The Cap'n

Hmm, 6mm = .2362inches, 1/4 = 0.25 for a grand total difference of .01378. I'll agree on a difference there, but you and I will have to agree to disagree on the "far too big". On the 8mm's (seems to be the most popular thread size on the car) the washer's are nearly identical (which you note) as 8mm = 0.31496 (the diff between a 5/16 washer and a 8mm is, ahem, 0.00246inches - a figure that may indeed be important when measuring deck height but washer size?).

Unless every screw & bolt is getting torqued to exactly the factory specs during reassembly, I doubt the original "desigh function" is being mimicked, regardless of washer size.

Availability is relative - California guys have it different than most of the rest of us.

QUOTE(Jasfsmith @ Jun 20 2007, 06:36 AM) *

Then provide me some insight on how you tell which side of the washer is the exposed front side? <grin>

I believe you get the joke.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:22 PM