Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> 914 6 Paint
xsurfer
post Jun 24 2007, 10:19 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,818

I have to paint the car, something I've never done. What paint is correct for showing? I'm starting read about paint. I'll start taking the car apart over the winter.

Color change is acceptable to Judges I think. Can someone verify that please.

Thanks from the newbie. Say, when to I loose the newbie title? After a restoration? LOL

Gene
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
IronHillRestorations
post Jun 24 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #2

I. I. R. C.

Group: Members
Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

You'll have a steep learning curve if you are serious about getting a show quality paint job the first time out (painted in your garage I"m guessing?). There's a considerable amount to learn in order to get a good finish on a car, let alone a show car finish. Most all of the time you'll run into more than you expect, as in something under the current paint you didn't even know about.

You also need to examine the health risks associated with painting a car before you get serious about undertaking such a task. Modern paints pose a serious health hazard to the painter and anyone else in reasonable proximity.

See about working with a paint shop that will consider reducing the price, if you bring the car "shucked" down to a paintable state, ie removing turn signals, brightwork, glass, etc.

To answer your question though, a good original finish rates higher than a repaint, and a color change would rate below a good repaint.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 04:04 PM