Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Hmmm. . No strut snubbers, Are they necessary?
aircooledboy
post Jul 29 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #1

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Well, got the old strut out and MAN was it a beotch to compress. Once I got it out, it is a very new Bilstien, but is was VERY stiff, and literally has less than 1.5 inches of travel. That can't be good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

However, there were no rubber "snubbers" under the dust cap. I can probably find a set on one of the parts cars, but before I make the effort, are they necessary?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
aircooledboy
post Jul 29 2007, 06:31 PM
Post #2

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Thanks Bob, but I yanked a couple of good ones from a parts car.

After looking things over more carefully, I realized that there is no snubber, because there is no place to put one. The inserts were heavy duty Bilsteins. The shaft broadens out to 95% of the full insert size right below where the dust cover sits. I looked up the part number, and it is listed under both 914 and 68-72 911.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

BTW: Don't tell anybody, but the inserts I used were "Gabriel Premuim Gas" struts I picked up at the FLAPS about 4 years ago when I found them on a clearance table marked down from $249.00 to $49.00. They were the only struts on the table, and when I saw they were for a 914, I figured it was fate for me to find them, so I bought them even thought I didn't need them. I know they are not from the motherland, but they ride great. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
TimT
post Jul 29 2007, 07:55 PM
Post #3

retired

Member No.: 313

You need snubbers to keep the shock from bottoming out and destroying itself.

Not only that, when the strut suddenly stops in compression. The spring rate goes to infinity and weird handling issues follow.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 10:14 PM