Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT - Ferrari Dino GT sighting
Silver Surfer
post Aug 26 2007, 07:33 PM
Post #1

Not done yet.

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,507
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I have been drooling over the Ferrari Dino GT since I was 5 years old and had a little yellow toy Dino. I've seen a couple on the track and a couple in car shows but I've never seen one on the road until today.

I was walking home from the streetcar stop when I saw it parked down the street. The somewhat crappy photo is from my 19th floor apartment. I didn't have time to run down to take some street level pictures before I heard it fire up and blast down the road.

It got me thinking again.

There aren't many cars I'd trade the teener in for...
And any of the those select cars would eat the teener as a down payment only...
But is life really too short to not drive a Ferrari?

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Pat Garvey
post Aug 26 2007, 08:05 PM
Post #2

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Silver Surfer @ Aug 26 2007, 07:33 PM) *

I have been drooling over the Ferrari Dino GT since I was 5 years old and had a little yellow toy Dino. I've seen a couple on the track and a couple in car shows but I've never seen one on the road until today.

I was walking home from the streetcar stop when I saw it parked down the street. The somewhat crappy photo is from my 19th floor apartment. I didn't have time to run down to take some street level pictures before I heard it fire up and blast down the road.

It got me thinking again.

There aren't many cars I'd trade the teener in for...
And any of the those select cars would eat the teener as a down payment only...
But is life really too short to not drive a Ferrari?

Attached Image

Well, let's think about this. The Dino, like the 914, was a bastard child. Niether carried the forweard badges of the Factory. The Dino, like the 914, did not have a "proper" Factory motor in it. They were both stepchildren.

But, NOW, the Dino has become a darling & commanding pretty high auction prices. Guess that means the snobs have been croaking!

Same goes fr 914's - prices on the rise, just not at the Dino level. Guess the Ferrari mystique has stayed with low production numbers & the (OK, I'm going to piss some people off here) prevelance of "gold chain" Porsche owners ( read leasers) of contemporary times - sorta dirties the Porsche name when 60% are those that lease! I won't even bring up the chili pepper owners (gag).

Would I like to have a Dino? - damn right. Would I park it on the street? Not without Vinnie to watch it. Ist it collectible? Believe it!

And, since the 904, Porsche has not produced a car that compares in relative sexiness to anything Ferrari. Though, Porsches can be driven, without thousands spent annually in maintenance. And, they have made some nice looking cars too, though, for my taste, the 911 RSR was the last.

MHOB & you are free to take issue.
Pat
+Quote Post
dinomium
post Aug 27 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #3

Git on a chair son, all the good stuff is goin over yer head!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 74
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

/quote]
Well, let's think about this. The Dino, like the 914, was a bastard child. Niether carried the forweard badges of the Factory. The Dino, like the 914, did not have a "proper" Factory motor in it. They were both stepchildren.

While correct that FIAT was involed in the project for both the Ferrari and FIAT Dinos, the reasons were not the same that brought about the 914. To meet numbers for homoglotion, Ferrari needed to produce a number well outside thier manufacturing abilities, so they contacted thier parent company to help out. Ferrari only produced a TOTAL of 3761 of the 206/246 Dino cars. And the old snobbery of if it is not a 12 cyclender car, then it just isn't a Ferrari has thankfully start to subside. Ezno nearly despised the road car division and only cared that the money kept him racing! So really any road car is a lessor Ferrari...
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 12:30 AM