Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another 3.0 liter swap, Please clarify a few things.
914chris
post Oct 10 2007, 03:19 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,701
Region Association: None

I have an original 2.0 liter six. I bought a 3.0 liter with webers and am going to do the swap. I have researched this forum and what to confirm/clarify if I am getting things right.
From what I understand I need to do the following:

1) Get a flywheel/clutch setup from Kennedy. Can I use the 3.0 liter flywheel with an adapter? It is a 9 bolt flywheel. Is there a reason to use the flywheel from Kennedy, over the adapter ring gear? I have read that the Kennedy flywheel is welded up and re-drilled, not sure if I want to go that way.

2) Modify the 3.0 liter oil cooler with a 90 degree to clear the trailing arm. Is the 3.0 liter cooler different than my cooler from the stock 2.0? Do I need the engine cooler even if I want to add a front mounted cooler? Will I need a front mounted cooler?

3) Do I need to modify the throttle linkage on the 3.0 liter? It came out of a 911. I would think I need some of my linkage parts from the original six, but not sure.

I plan to upgrade the fuel lines in the tunnel with the stainless setup from one of the guys on the board.
Is there anything else I should do while I have things apart?

Thanks for you help.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jeff
post Oct 13 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 1,570

What is the typical cost of doing pistons/cams?I'm guessing 10:1 for the street ?What lift/duration are the hot rod cams?My supposedly rebuilt 3.2 just failed its leakdown so i'm going to take a lok into thr engine sometime soon
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 13 2007, 05:58 PM
Post #3

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jeff @ Oct 13 2007, 03:09 PM) *

What is the typical cost of doing pistons/cams?I'm guessing 10:1 for the street ?What lift/duration are the hot rod cams?My supposedly rebuilt 3.2 just failed its leakdown so i'm going to take a lok into thr engine sometime soon

I've been looking into this ....again...lately.

The least expensive way to go I have found is:
Send your cylinders to EBS for a strip & Nikasil replate....150 bucks a pop.
JE pistons for about 900. 100 buck core charge (per cyl) if you don't provide cores. *You cannot run any piston other than stock ones on Alusil cylinders*
I found some NOS Mahle 10.4: P/Cs (90 mm) for 2800 and am very happy.
Thems race gas territory tho......I can live with that.
New P/Cs prices will stop your heart when purchased from a Pcar vendor.

Cams....do you feel lucky? Pick a standard grind and find some used ones.
Otherwise, talk to "camgrinder" over on the Pelican engine rebuild forum.
That's a much better place to talk about this stuff than here. There are real live experts there.

BTW. The oil pumps on 76 2.7L thru the 89 (?)3.2L are identicle. They made the pressure side larger & the scavenge side smaller in 76. My eyeball shows 15-20 %
difference.

I run a 12AN line for scavenge with an adaptor to the standard fitting and what passes for the stock 914/6 rubber line on the feed side....that is to say it fits the 76 feed below the cooler and the 914/6 jobbie. The scavenge side goes thru a thermostat then to the front aux cooler (or bypasses the cooler).
After flogging on the homebuilt engine for 7 years I am tearing it down due to leakdown.....scored clys....not oil related but assembly related. Oil related.....wear shows in several places due to not getting the oil up to temp prior to zinging it to redline.....need a new plan to take care of that.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:44 AM