Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Wilwood Rear Parking Brake, New Comboination
Van914
post Nov 5 2007, 08:20 AM
Post #1

Van914

Group: Members
Member No.: 90
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Has anyone checked out Wilwoods Combination Parking Brake Caliper? It is a radial mount and has a 34mm bore. Might be a great way to get bigger brakes and keep the parking brake. Now if I could only source the brackets to mount to the tarailing arm.

http://www.wilwood.com/Products/001-Calipe...3-cpb/index.asp

Van914
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
GS Guy
post Nov 5 2007, 05:14 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,325
Region Association: North East States

You guys might be interested in this little gem - IPS mechanical caliper.
Got a set of these showing up this week and I'll be shelving my Wilwood mechanicals.
To tell the truth - I'm surprised the Wilwoods don't bind or jam up anyway - the movable pad is basically just sitting loose in the caliper, with a loose steel plate behind it and loose pin behind that! Only careful adjustment on the rotor keeps this stuff from falling out! On top of that the sliding mount arrangement leaves much to be desired, IMO. Marty has apparently worked out the major issues with these - but once I saw these IPS calipers I knew for sure I wouldn't be using the Wilwoods! No comparison IMHO. The available mounting bracket (shown) contains a spring feature to keep the pads from dragging on the rotors when not in use. Integral sliding pins provide the necessary "float", and they bolt on just like a hydraulic caliper. They're sweeeet!
http://www.ipsco.org/Custom%20Services/Parking%20Brake.htm
Jeff

Attached Image
+Quote Post
andys
post Nov 5 2007, 05:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721
Region Association: None

QUOTE(GS Guy @ Nov 5 2007, 04:14 PM) *

You guys might be interested in this little gem - IPS mechanical caliper.
Got a set of these showing up this week and I'll be shelving my Wilwood mechanicals.
To tell the truth - I'm surprised the Wilwoods don't bind or jam up anyway - the movable pad is basically just sitting loose in the caliper, with a loose steel plate behind it and loose pin behind that! Only careful adjustment on the rotor keeps this stuff from falling out! On top of that the sliding mount arrangement leaves much to be desired, IMO. Marty has apparently worked out the major issues with these - but once I saw these IPS calipers I knew for sure I wouldn't be using the Wilwoods! No comparison IMHO. The available mounting bracket (shown) contains a spring feature to keep the pads from dragging on the rotors when not in use. Integral sliding pins provide the necessary "float", and they bolt on just like a hydraulic caliper. They're sweeeet!
http://www.ipsco.org/Custom%20Services/Parking%20Brake.htm
Jeff

Jeff,

Everything you say about the Wilwood spot is correct. Everything just sort of flops around. It's a take off of the original Hurst-Airheart spot caliper. It's surprising that no attempt at improving the design was ever employed (after some 40 years).

That IPS unit indeed looks real nice, though it's double the cost. I would have rather designed around it if I had known at the time.

Andys
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 09:40 AM