Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Should I check the fuel pressure?, Just got the engine started and cam broke in...
Bogaat
post Nov 12 2007, 10:32 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,436

I was having issues starting my 74 w/ newly built 2.0 w/ Djet and figured out my fuel pump went bad on me. I bought a newer 75-76 style (way cheaper) and it cranked right up. I broke in the cam, set the timing/idle and am installing my CVs so I can take this thing for a ride! It cranks right up and runs smooth...but it does seem to kick out a little black smoke when it is warm (white when first cranked, but it is cold out). Do I need to check the fuel pressure since I installed a new pump? Anything else to check? Could it be I just need to run this thing around the block for a bit? Thanks guys!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
toon1
post Nov 13 2007, 01:42 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,022

QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 13 2007, 11:15 AM) *

I don't screw around on tech questions ... I'm serious

You want to know how they work and the internals ... go to the library and read.

I've had them stuck open and stuck closed. I've had them fouled (clogged). I've had them where the solenoid is bad and they won't open.

The CSV has been known to be a culprit before. I just fixed an engine where the #1 plug was WHITE ... what would be your guess?

When you're guessing from miles away and don't have your hands on the vehicle, there are a multitude of things that can contribute to a situation. You need to check ALL of them.

I know what the internals of a inj. looks like

If you know what the internals of an inj. is, then you would know that excessive fuel pressure would case it to SHUT not stick open.

Can you give an example of a problem you have run accross where excessive fuel pressure caused an inj. to stick OPEN?

All the problems you described above are not the result of too much FP.
They are the result of a failing injector, that's different.

you could take and 914 inj. and apply 60psi to it and it would work fine, they only start to have opening probs. at around 70psi.

Most of the flow rates for a 1.7 or 2.0 inj's. are taken at 43.5 psi., which is what modern fuel system pressures run.

+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 13 2007, 06:09 PM
Post #3

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

QUOTE(toon1 @ Nov 13 2007, 11:42 AM) *

QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 13 2007, 11:15 AM) *

I don't screw around on tech questions ... I'm serious

You want to know how they work and the internals ... go to the library and read.

I've had them stuck open and stuck closed. I've had them fouled (clogged). I've had them where the solenoid is bad and they won't open.

The CSV has been known to be a culprit before. I just fixed an engine where the #1 plug was WHITE ... what would be your guess?

When you're guessing from miles away and don't have your hands on the vehicle, there are a multitude of things that can contribute to a situation. You need to check ALL of them.

I know what the internals of a inj. looks like

If you know what the internals of an inj. is, then you would know that excessive fuel pressure would case it to SHUT not stick open.

Can you give an example of a problem you have run accross where excessive fuel pressure caused an inj. to stick OPEN?

All the problems you described above are not the result of too much FP.
They are the result of a failing injector, that's different.

you could take and 914 inj. and apply 60psi to it and it would work fine, they only start to have opening probs. at around 70psi.

Most of the flow rates for a 1.7 or 2.0 inj's. are taken at 43.5 psi., which is what modern fuel system pressures run.

What you just said is directly opposed to everything the rebuilders we sell to tell me. Enough said .... you appear to be the expert so carry on.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 07:35 AM