Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> More OT, Indianapolis?
DerekKim
post Dec 5 2007, 01:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,635

I may be moving to Indianapolis. It would be in about February or so. I was just wondering if anyone was in or around the area that knows anything about what there is to do there. Let me know. Oh and I don't drink or go to clubs so that would nix those activities.

What is their music scene like?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Pnambic
post Dec 5 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #2

Honk if you like obscene gestures!

Group: Members
Member No.: 546
Region Association: South East States

Derek, my man! Have I got a deal for you!

I lived in Indy (in Carmel, Fishers and Noblesville on the north side) from '94 until late last year when a job took me down here to Atlanta. I really liked Indy though. Lots of fun things, especially for kids. The city is also remarkably clean, especially down town. IndyDad mentioned a lot of the great things to do and see around town. The Children's Museum is supposed to be one of the best in the country if you've got kids. We always had annual memberships for our kids.

If you're into the music scene, I'm told the Music Mill has some of the best accoustics you'll find anywhere. Regrettably, I never took the time to check it out, but I have friends that have and my brother also thinks very highly of it.

I'm still sitting on my home in Noblesville though. I am a motivated seller. PM if you have questions.

Where will you be working? Got a family? Kids?

The city is relatively young as far as "big cities" go. And its development/expansion hasn't been hindered by any particular land features like lakes, rivers or mountains (or even hills hardly). Its very flat, so most all of the roads are predictably north-south/east-west. Its hard to get lost in Indy. The city also calls itself a crossroads as quite a few Interstates come through. Interstate 69 goes north-northeast through Ft. Wayne towards Lansing, MI. I-70 is a straightshot east towards Dayton, OH and west to St. Louis, MO. I-74 heads east straight to Cinncinati and west to Peoria, IL. I-65 heads south to Louisville and north to Chicago. And due to the lack of any major topographical features of the land, the roads are pretty much straight shots for the most part.

Brown County, an hour south of Indy and home to the Fall Foliage gatherings of years past, has some great twisty roads and in the fall when the leaves are changing, its just breathtaking.

There are several reservoirs around town if you like boating. Geist is in Fishers on the northeast side of town and is the ritziest. There's Eagle Creek on the east side of town and Morse reservoir further north (nearer Noblesville).

They also have something called the Monon Trail where the city took some old strips of former rail land and converted it to a nicely paved path for walking, running, blading, biking, etc. I think I read it was about 15 miles worth connecting the northern suburbs of Carmel all the way to downtown Indy.

If you're looking for a house, let me know. Even if my place doesn't suit you, I could get you with a good realtor.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
DerekKim   More OT   Dec 5 2007, 01:30 AM
Elliot Cannon   They have a really big race there around May somet...   Dec 5 2007, 02:08 AM
indydad   An early welcome to INDY Derek. We have a great do...   Dec 5 2007, 05:35 AM
Thomas J Bliznik   An early welcome to INDY Derek. We have a great d...   Dec 5 2007, 06:34 AM
yenningComity   I am about 30 mins north of indy but I commute 5 d...   Dec 5 2007, 07:14 AM
mudfoot76   Indianapolis has a decent music scene. Check out N...   Dec 5 2007, 08:16 AM
rdauenhauer   They have a really big race there around May some...   Dec 5 2007, 09:38 AM
Pnambic   Derek, my man! Have I got a deal for you...   Dec 5 2007, 10:53 AM
indydad   We are going to get tickets for MotoGP in grandst...   Dec 5 2007, 10:54 AM
DerekKim   Oh wow a lot of response! This is definitely...   Dec 5 2007, 01:37 PM
Pnambic   Pnambic- You mentioned the monon trail. Are there...   Dec 5 2007, 02:46 PM
greybeard50   The Broadripple area (Northcentral Indy ~62nd St. ...   Dec 5 2007, 02:56 PM
rigglet   I don't have much to add as far as what to do ...   Dec 5 2007, 05:04 PM
yenningComity   Just to warn you broad ripple is a bit more for th...   Dec 5 2007, 07:39 PM
DerekKim   Haha I guess I'm feeding you guys a little bit...   Dec 6 2007, 01:48 AM
greybeard50   Haha I guess I'm feeding you guys a little bi...   Dec 6 2007, 09:43 AM
mudfoot76   Do the Indy teener guys have get togethers or dri...   Dec 6 2007, 11:33 AM
greybeard50   I'll be organizing a BBQ/engine install party...   Dec 6 2007, 12:04 PM
krazykonrad   The museum at the Speedway is a must GT40s, Gullwi...   Dec 6 2007, 10:52 AM
Bartlett 914   I grew up in Indy. Moved to the Chicago region in ...   Dec 6 2007, 03:03 PM
DerekKim   Yeah it's been an experience for sure. I don...   Dec 6 2007, 10:53 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 01:04 PM