Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> More OT, Indianapolis?
DerekKim
post Dec 5 2007, 01:30 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,635

I may be moving to Indianapolis. It would be in about February or so. I was just wondering if anyone was in or around the area that knows anything about what there is to do there. Let me know. Oh and I don't drink or go to clubs so that would nix those activities.

What is their music scene like?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
DerekKim
post Dec 5 2007, 01:37 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 2,635

Oh wow a lot of response!

This is definitely getting bookmark'd.

I guess I should explain a little bit more about me. I'm 17 so no kids haha. I sold my teener a few months ago and I'd be moving in with my uncle so a realtor is not necessary(thanks though). It looks like there is a LOT to do! I'm excited for that. There isn't much down here since after Katrina. I have some buddies that are into longboarding. That's mostly what we do is we aren't skimboarding or surfing.

I love acoustic so I will have to go check it out.

Pnambic- You mentioned the monon trail. Are there good hills on it or is it mostly flat?
+Quote Post
greybeard50
post Dec 5 2007, 02:56 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 6,909

The Broadripple area (Northcentral Indy ~62nd St. between Keystone & Meridian) has developed into a gathering "center" for the younger set. Lots of music (several allow under 21 folks), restaurants, shops. Pick up a free copy of NUVO & go wild. Live music venues are all over town...Indy is a wonderful MidWest town for music.

There are outdoor concerts at Verizon MC, Downtown on the River, Connor Prairie. Also, Bluegrass in Bean Blossom (I'm not making this up), Fiddlers at Lafayette. Steamboats on the Ohio at Cincinatti. Horse Racing in Kentucky. Nashville, Memphis are close. As is the Appalachian Mountain Trail, white water rafting & kayaking. Southern Indiana has some areas of hilly terrain. The annual Hilly 100 Bike race covers most of the good stuff around the Hoosier National Forest.

Lake Michigan for big water lovers. Hundreds of lakes & ponds for the rest of us. Southwestern Indiana was re-shaped by strip mine coal companies. There are literally hundreds of ponds with good fishing there.

The Monon trail is pretty flat (as is most on the state). One of the state Universities produced and sold a poster touting "Ski Indiana!" it was a skier on flat land in the downhill racer position & you received instructions to hang it at an angle...

At 17, are you entering school? Lots of fabulous schools in Indy...Purdue, IU, Butler, IV Tech, U of Indianapolis. 2, 4, & beyond year degrees & never hang your head.

Lots of race activity... Brownsburg on the Northwest side counts over 250 SCCA racers, and many many cottage builders, fabricators, etc. AJWatson is still there! Of course there's the Speedway with open wheel, NASCAR, & now MOTO-GP. Lost F1 ....but the group protesting the loss could've fit in my van...

Putnam Park, Blackhawk, Grattan, Gingerman, Mid-Ohio, Elkhart Lake are all easily accessed. SCCA & other groups use an abandoned part of Grissom AFB here in Peru to run AutoX. Hoosier Tire in South Bend runs monthly AutoX.

Indy is developing the downtown portion of the White River as a Recreation Park. Concerts, skateboarding, biking, running, etc.

I could go on, but my boss is lurking. So gotta go. My kids are a bit older than you so I can't hook you up that way but I can invite you along for any of my adventures. I shoot competition Skeet & Sporting Clays, race a vintage Formula VEE, find curvey roads for my Porsche 912E (driver ed days & AutoX), lust after vintage Motorcycles once a year at Mid-Ohio, build & shoot muzzleloading rifles & shotguns, and am starting a Master's Degree this Spring. Heck, you are all invited!

Did I mention I'm learning to flat pick mandolin?
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
DerekKim   More OT   Dec 5 2007, 01:30 AM
Elliot Cannon   They have a really big race there around May somet...   Dec 5 2007, 02:08 AM
indydad   An early welcome to INDY Derek. We have a great do...   Dec 5 2007, 05:35 AM
Thomas J Bliznik   An early welcome to INDY Derek. We have a great d...   Dec 5 2007, 06:34 AM
yenningComity   I am about 30 mins north of indy but I commute 5 d...   Dec 5 2007, 07:14 AM
mudfoot76   Indianapolis has a decent music scene. Check out N...   Dec 5 2007, 08:16 AM
rdauenhauer   They have a really big race there around May some...   Dec 5 2007, 09:38 AM
Pnambic   Derek, my man! Have I got a deal for you...   Dec 5 2007, 10:53 AM
indydad   We are going to get tickets for MotoGP in grandst...   Dec 5 2007, 10:54 AM
DerekKim   Oh wow a lot of response! This is definitely...   Dec 5 2007, 01:37 PM
Pnambic   Pnambic- You mentioned the monon trail. Are there...   Dec 5 2007, 02:46 PM
greybeard50   The Broadripple area (Northcentral Indy ~62nd St. ...   Dec 5 2007, 02:56 PM
rigglet   I don't have much to add as far as what to do ...   Dec 5 2007, 05:04 PM
yenningComity   Just to warn you broad ripple is a bit more for th...   Dec 5 2007, 07:39 PM
DerekKim   Haha I guess I'm feeding you guys a little bit...   Dec 6 2007, 01:48 AM
greybeard50   Haha I guess I'm feeding you guys a little bi...   Dec 6 2007, 09:43 AM
mudfoot76   Do the Indy teener guys have get togethers or dri...   Dec 6 2007, 11:33 AM
greybeard50   I'll be organizing a BBQ/engine install party...   Dec 6 2007, 12:04 PM
krazykonrad   The museum at the Speedway is a must GT40s, Gullwi...   Dec 6 2007, 10:52 AM
Bartlett 914   I grew up in Indy. Moved to the Chicago region in ...   Dec 6 2007, 03:03 PM
DerekKim   Yeah it's been an experience for sure. I don...   Dec 6 2007, 10:53 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 12:23 PM