Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Problem wiith eBay high torque starter
hydroliftin
post Dec 17 2009, 09:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,180
Region Association: Northern California

I know there has been a lot of interest in the e-Bay high torque starters, and I wanted to relate my experience with one.
I purchased a high torque mini starter described as “PORSCHE 911 MINI STARTER ALSO 912 / 914 / 930” on eBay in November 2007 and installed it in my 1974 914 in April 2008. The seller, Sam DeSantos, does business as Hi Performance of America, LLC.

http://stores.ebay.com/HI-PERFORMANCE-OF-AMERICA

I put about 3,000 miles on the car since installing the starter but recently it would work fine when the car was cold, but would do nothing, not even a click, when the car warmed up and was parked for a short time. I contacted the seller a few months ago and he couldn’t do anything for me because it was outside the 1-year warranty period. I was expecting to get a lot more than 3,000 miles out of it, and I was disappointed because I really liked how the starter made it easier to start the engine compared to the stock unit, and also that it weighs much less than the standard starter.

Rather than purchase a replacement starter I decided to have the Hi Performance of America one repaired. The repair guy told me that the housing on the solenoid needed to be replaced and they showed me where the main electrical contacts were loose and burned from arcing. Also the case was worn allowing the solenoid to rock back and forth and hang up. The starter unit was made up of a used Toyota starter and Nissan solenoid paired with a new gear set and bracket. If the used components had been rebuilt, it was not very well done. Still, I would not rule out purchasing one of these units. The initial cost is low, and they offer a lot of benefits over the stock unit. I only wish someone had suggested I have a reputable rebuilder check it out and repair what needed attention before installing it.

By the way if you ever need a starter or alternator repaired, I highly recommend AutoLectics in Campbell, CA http://www.autolectrics.com/

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 11:35 AM