Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> JB Weld thread
nebreitling
post Mar 30 2004, 12:57 PM
Post #1

Member Emeritus

Group: Members
Member No.: 478

brad's thread brought this up. i'm curious what others say about it.

my 2 cents:

i've used it with good success on things like lawn mowers and such. it's a hack-fix in most cases, no doubt. however, you can drill it, machine it, file it, etc., so it's pretty damn strong. and permanent. certainly in carb mods, i wouldn't think twice about using it.

i've heard different things regarding temperature. they used to say 600 degrees, the manufacturerer now says 500. apparently, it won't actually melt to liquid at that temp, it will just stop holding. so i wouldn't use it as part of an exhaust.

a smog tube (that i've blocked off) on my 75 2.0 came out while driving the other day. not good. threads of the stud are still good, so the head is probably cracked and shit. however, i can just set the stud through the tin into the head and the car runs great, no problem. engine still makes all kinds of power and sounds smooth, and i don't currently have the time and space to pull it...

so i just put a spot of jb weld on the stud in the upper threads, and a spot of it where the stud meets the engine tin. i'm crossing my fingers... it claims to work well w/ aluminum, but i'm a little concerned about differing expansion rates... and heads can run pretty hot (hopefully not 500 degrees), although my car seems to cool well.

this is hackmye, no doubt -- i'll let you know if it holds...

anyone else use the stuff? n
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
nebreitling   JB Weld thread   Mar 30 2004, 12:57 PM
Mueller   I've used JB Weld on a radiator (nice big hole...   Mar 30 2004, 01:48 PM
thesey914   I've used it to stick 3 stripped exhaust studs...   Mar 30 2004, 02:28 PM
SLITS   Used it all the time on the race track to repair F...   Mar 30 2004, 02:35 PM
nebreitling  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 10:39 AM