Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Swaping a 2.0 for the 1.7, What hangups should I expect?
aircooledboy
post Apr 1 2004, 04:04 PM
Post #1

Sweet Pea's 1st ride in daddy's "vroom -vroom"

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,629
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Hey everybody,

Newbie here. I have lurked her for a long time, and learned some great stuff from some amazingly knowledgeable folks. I signed up in february, but this is my virgin post, so be gentle with me, and maybe give me a little cuddle when we are through. I was infected with 914ism when I bought my first 914 "Swiss Cheese Edition" when I was 16 (that was 24 years ago??? AHHHHHH!!!). I have owned 5 drivers on and off over the years , and currently have a very nice 72 with a stock 1.7 that I have had as my summer toy for 4 years.

Recently I picked up a very well running 75 stock 2.0 after the guy driving it said I was full of shit when I told him he really needed to address his very rusty rear suspension counsol mounts before they gave way. Well, shockingly the passenger side gave way. So, now I own it as well as his 2 parts cars. I intend to swap the 2.0 for my 1.7. I know that the 75 is not as desirable as the earlier 2.0, but it is still more HP than my 1.7, so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) in she goes.

I have spent about 3 million hours laying under my 914s over the years, but it has always been under 73 or older cars. I had a really nice 75 2.0 in the late 80's, but it was so dependable, I never did anything but replace an air control box. Consequently, I don't have any good frame of reference as far as what things are not gonna mate up when I swap these rascals. My question is a four parter:

1. What parts do I need to change to accomodate the side shifter in place of my current tail shift;

2. What thangs are not gonna be a simple re-connect (and what the hell do I do about it) when I put the 75 2.0 in my 72 1.7 engine bay. I have literally had older d jets in and out of my cars dozens of times over the years, but never dropped anything newer than a 73. Thus, I don't really have a good feel for what changes I will have to deal with switch to the 75 2.0.

3. Are there any changes I should make while I have the 2.0 out. Other than clean the hell out of it, I am looking for ideas on simple modifications which will improve reliability or performance. While, for the first time in my life I own a 914 AND have the money to spend on it if I want, I am not really looking to drop 2k on a dual weber setup or anything like that right now.

4. Is there any way to use my shiny perfect 1.7 SS heater boxes with the 75 2.0. I understand they are not intended to be interchangible, but since I don't have to worry about emissions testing out here in the boonies, I am just wonering if anybody has tried to make this kind of retro fit.

There, that wasn't so bad. Just a little bleeding on the sheets, and an overpowering desire for a cigarette, but other than that losing my viginity was great. Now I have to go rifle though my trash for the Dove soap box I threw out this morning. I sold a few little parts off those cars on E-bay, and I picked up a great tip on how to save money on shipping today.

Can't wait for the wisdom to come pooring in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
aircooledboy   Swaping a 2.0 for the 1.7   Apr 1 2004, 04:04 PM
garyh   I did a '73 1.7->2.0 swap. Unbolt old, bolt i...   Apr 1 2004, 04:08 PM
SLITS   Hey, if he has the early engine mount bar, he need...   Apr 1 2004, 04:36 PM
brant   Gary covered it... but sorta been there with a 7...   Apr 1 2004, 04:48 PM
Gint   To compile a list boggles MY mind... Welcome to t...   Apr 1 2004, 05:07 PM
Dave_Darling   Just to make sure it's clear: To swap in the ...   Apr 1 2004, 05:28 PM
SLITS   Dave, that was a shameless plug for the guy in Red...   Apr 1 2004, 06:33 PM
itsa914   Chris, Welcome to the Board! I purchased a 70...   Apr 1 2004, 09:39 PM
garyh  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 06:31 AM