Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 2 questions: Wiper motor and fuel pump, well, maybe three
wobbletop
post May 23 2010, 10:12 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,335
Region Association: Canada

Hi all,
I have a 71 with the wiper knob (not arm) in the dash. The wipers stopped working at some point last year. Looking at the wiring diagram, I don't see any fuses to check, and the switch goes directly to the motor. All the fuses look fine anyway.

How does the dash switch come out? I'm assuming there is some sort of attachment behind the dash although I can't get my fingers behind there. The switch mechanism doesn't seem firmly attached to the dash as it turns a bit when I turn the switch on and off.

The manual says the fuel tank needs to be removed to access the wiper motor. Looking at the car, this is probably true. Anything else I should check before pulling the fuel tank?

Also, since I may be pulling the fuel tank, I should probably look at my noisy fuel pump. It's some sort of Holly and makes a lot of noise although it has not caused me any trouble. It's been relocated to the front trunk beside the spare tire by the previous owner.

What pumps are recommended for a 3.0L carb motor?
Can I move it back to the engine area? I've heard that there may be vapour lock troubles but since I'm in Canada I don't have to deal with too much heat.

One last question (third), I've noticed a lot of space available to move the front wheel out. Any real issues with adding maybe 15mm of spacer to the front wheels (each side)? Right now the track is about 30mm wider in the rear, but I measured it from the centre caps of the front and rear wheels. I'm not used to non symmetrical front and rear tires, so I'm not sure if that's the proper way to measure. I couldn't find a note about the real track width in the Hayes manual. Any recommendations on spacers?

Thanks everyone! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 04:06 AM