Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How to Relocate Fuel Pump to Front, Route Lines, Fittings Etc?, 1.Source Bosch Parts 2.Move pump to 76 914 location 3.Replumb w/30R9
Nürburg Nomad
post May 28 2010, 02:06 AM
Post #1

914Rubber.com!

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Okay fellow Teeners I'll try to keep this brief, long story short my fuel system is semi butchered and has a leaky rectangular fuel pump that appears to be out of a tractor, 30R7 fuel hose installed in the mid-nineties that's drying out and begining to split, or in one case appears to be MELTING! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) Standard style hose clamps instead of solid band clamps, zip tied fuel lines instead of clamped (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) and two 3 foot lengths of hose pieced togehter where there should be one 6 foot length!!! AHHHHH (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Now to sort this all out... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

First off my 914 Info:
It's a 1972 with original 1.7L block with a 1.8 head and so on so it's actually 1910CCs. Dual Dellorto carbs each with one incoming fuel line from a brass T-juntion block supported by the fuel hose currently, no return vaccum lines, and currently a 2 port 1 inlet/1 outlet fuel pump setup loosely zip tied to the factory right angle tabs intended to hold the clear box-style in-line fuel filter. The fuel filter is 6 inches upstream from the fuel pump zip tied behind the passenger side firewall in the corner south of the "hell-hole" area allthough the battery is now housed in the front trunk and Red-Top Optima so it can be safely sealed in 100%.

Also perhaps important to note there is no 7-9MM "step-up" hose I've previously read about present in the system and not sure whether I'll need that if I'm re-doing everything with the same diameter line front to back?

More Importantly, The QUESTIONS!
In an attempt to keep chaos organized I'm going to number each question and if you can help resolve that question please reference the number and once it's 100% figured out I'll move it under "Resolved". Thanks!

Unresolved:

1. Will 5/16 SAE 30R9 (Teflon lined aka 50 times less permeable to fuel vapors than the more abundant 30R7 spec) fuel hose that's .56" outer diameter be able to be used front-to-back from the gas tank to a front mounted fuel pump; through the center tunnel, into a fuel filter somewhere in the system etc, or is .56" too large to safely fit through the firewall fore and aft and not rub?

2. Does anyone have large, clear, high resolution photos of the factory mounting location for a 75-76 front mounted fuel pump?

3. Will I need to drill holes or create mounting tabs in the front to mount a fuel pump in a factory-esk 75-76 914 fashion or are mounting provisions already present? (also FYI would like to keep it out of the front trunk cargo area; battery, compact 911 spare, and front oil cooler shroud already take up enough space, however the whole heater core/blower unit has been removed but I do intend to re-install the windsheild wiper fluid tank and an electric 914-6 pump to keep in mind for space)

4. Where can I find a proper OEM style Bosch (or superior) in-line fuel filter? NOTE: It needs to have the same inlet-outlet diameter as I'm hoping to use 5/16" hose throughout.

6. Where can I find a proper OEM style Bosch 2-port fuel pump that's warranted in some way, not from China, possibly not NOS as I've heard too many stories of seals drying out from sitting on a shelf, preferably not very loud, and also not super expensive as I'm only a college student of limited means after all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

7. Where can I find an OEM style fuel pump mounting bracket if it's not included with a new pump?

8. Where can I find OEM style solid fuel line band clamps that fit 5/16 (.056 OD) line, perferably in stainless steel?

10. Do the early/late 914 fuel pumps vary; with the later having a higher PSI to compensate for the increased distance for the fuel to travel under pressure? If yes, then how can I assure I get the correct one?

11. Assuming I order the right combo of fuel pump, filter, etc, will I be able to use 5/16" ID line throughout and avoid the 7-9MM stepped OEM hose which only meets a lower SAE rating/spec?

13. It won't particularly matter to me because locally I can only buy 30R9 fuel hose in a 25' reel; but for the sake of other teeners looking to revamp their fuel system, approximately (rounding up obviously) how many feet of fuel line should be purchased to replumb the system from front to back?

Resolved:

5. Assuming I'm able to relocate the fuel pump to the front mimicking 75-76 914s, where should the fuel filter be mounted in the system?
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 28 2010, 09:00 AM) *

mount filters before pumps unless you like buying pumps..

QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ May 28 2010, 11:05 AM) *

A fuel filter can be mounted between the tank and the fuel pump (why pump unfiltered gas?).

9. If I intend to simply extend the current fuel pump wires forward through the center tunnel what gauge wire/rating etc should I use? A friend is a professional electrician and can essentially do anything provided I give him specific specs & instructions as to what I need accomplished.
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 28 2010, 09:00 AM) *
use same gauge wire that is already to your fuel pump for rewirng in a different further location.

12. Where to find 30R9 fuel hose? - Found one retailer regionally selling this in a 25' reel of Goodyear manufactured 5/16 SAE 30R9 hose for $95.00. 100PSI max w/900 PSI bursting pressure.
QUOTE(realred914 @ May 28 2010, 12:31 PM) *

30R9 can be found at many kragens or Pepboys, but you may have to go in back and look for your self for the labling. the counter foks may not be (*edit ARE NEVER) aware of the differences

Thanks for any help you can offer! I can't wait to resolve this issue (prior to it actively leaking fuel on the ground) and have my 914 back on the road destroying the back country twisties! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) Hopefully this can be used as a detailed guide for others in the future hoping to do the same conversion!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Nürburg Nomad   How to Relocate Fuel Pump to Front, Route Lines, Fittings Etc?   May 28 2010, 02:06 AM
detoxcowboy   20 questions, too early to give you all your answe...   May 28 2010, 07:00 AM
GeorgeRud   It sounds like your system was home engineered, bu...   May 28 2010, 09:05 AM
realred914   5/16 th inch hose works just fine, use the solid c...   May 28 2010, 10:31 AM
Nürburg Nomad   5/16 th inch hose works just fine, use the solid ...   May 28 2010, 12:52 PM
Nürburg Nomad   :bump: Still no luck finding specific pieces like ...   May 29 2010, 12:09 PM
Nürburg Nomad   :bump: Any 914 fuel system experts lurking about? ...   Jun 1 2010, 05:54 AM
jt914-6   I'd try some local parts stores....I just got ...   Jun 1 2010, 06:26 AM
Nürburg Nomad   Still no luck finding anything locally :( Perhaps ...   Jun 3 2010, 04:37 PM
RobW   I used a "kit" from pelican parts about ...   Jun 3 2010, 04:59 PM
Nürburg Nomad   I used a "kit" from pelican parts about...   Jun 3 2010, 05:21 PM
Nürburg Nomad   Okay folks, after reading this thread: http://www....   Jun 4 2010, 10:28 AM
Racer Chris   914 Stainless Replacement Fuel Lines Even though ...   Jun 4 2010, 11:44 AM
Nürburg Nomad   914 Stainless Replacement Fuel Lines Even though...   Jun 4 2010, 12:27 PM
Racer Chris   An FI pump is wrong for carbs. You need a low pres...   Jun 4 2010, 01:14 PM
Nürburg Nomad   An FI pump is wrong for carbs. You need a low pre...   Jun 4 2010, 07:09 PM
Racer Chris   suppose I go ahead and buy your carb kit, does it...   Jun 4 2010, 08:15 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 11:27 AM