Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Checking the clutch..., How best to do this?...engine and tranny are out
slu234
post Jul 13 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,949
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have a 1970 with tail shifter. It has been sitting in a shed since 1980. I have had the engine running with the car on jack stands. Last summer I dropped the engine to clean it up and fix what needed fixin'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

I have heard that clutches can freeze up or rust to the flywheel while sitting that long. I did not think to check this while the engine was running prior to dropping it. I always started it up with the transmission out of gear. Thought I should check it out before putting the power plant back in.

So, how do I check out the clutch while I have it out? Is it as simple as unbolting the transmission while on the dolly (HE's and muffler are currently off)? Any watch-out's or special tools needed and what am I looking for?

Is it possible it is still OK?

Thanks,
Brian
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 09:01 AM