Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Finally got to "test drive" my car, WooHoo!
campbellcj
post Dec 27 2002, 10:39 PM
Post #1

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

OK, some of you may recall the rear wheel bearing issues I was having. (Went thru 3 of them - maybe more, I forget - in an extremely short period).

Turns out that the culprit was actually the hub. Early 911 hub was machined down about 3mm years ago for some kind of larger brake setup, maybe a Vellios kit (?) for Carrera or 930 brakes in the back of an early 911 or 5-lugged teener. Anyways, the guys at the shop pulled this hub off the shelf and put it on my car. Unless you held it up next to an unmodified early 911 or 914-6 hub, or measured it, you'd never really know it was weird.

We did also find out that the FAG bearings are slightly larger (.08mm) than the SKF's so they fit tighter; also, they're made in Germany vs. Spain or France if that matters to anybody.

Sooo, I now have a good hub, good FAG bearings, and all the other good bits on the car.

It rocks! I went for a long, fast drive up Mulholland, down Encinal Cyn to PCH, then back up Latigo Cyn to Kanan and back to Mulholland. Whew, it was tiring. The car is extremely balanced and stable now. I was doing 100+ in a few spots and it was very comfortable. Nice turn-in.

The coolest part is that on Mulholland up past the Rock Store, I came up behind a Boxster S moving at a good clip. This is an extremely twisty section. The dude let me pass at the top of the hill...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 07:23 PM