Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OK, chime in on this one, please, on this long diatribe, Rebuilding a 2.0L - 1971cc's and 8.0 pistons and stock Tranny redo
avidfanjpl
post Aug 14 2010, 01:33 AM
Post #1

914 Hemophiliac

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,566
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just to know the budget, assuming I drop the motor and trans myself, which I have done before, and I do the trans work myself, I think so anyway.........what are we talking here?

I know Mahle 8.0 jugs/pistons/pins are available, but there are 94mm complete sets made here in CA as well, no offshore stuff unless it is German.

Reputable people in SoCal like Fat and others do rebuilds, but assuming I buy the jug set, all the valves/guides and there are no cracks, what should my budget be? Assuming heads are sent out and someone else splits the case, but I provide ALL the parts. Suggestions on parts manufacturers are welcome at all times.

I am not going to do anything but total stock. The car is too nice to alter the engine. I canceled my AX plans because I don't want to beat the car, but I do shift at 5k mostly.

Any ideas?

I may not need to rebuild yet, but buying parts can start now, because it may truly be an exhaust leak I am dealing with, but I need to be a teener true and prepare myself for the eventual total rebuild.

And no, the tranny is working marvelously at 107K miles, but I hear that synchro rings are ALWAYS a good idea with the drivetrain out of the car. I will definitely do all the seals on the tranny as well, and will redo the halfshafts. All bearings are new and fine. Not even loose. All the shifter bushings from the firewall back are new this month, but I need to do the shifter. I have no gear issues at all and have a complete HD Sachs PP/Clutch The clutch assembly has only 10k miles on it but the cable is pretty stretched. New 914-6 cable is ready to go in.

The car may have had a valve job at some point by the 1st owner at 75k miles. No smoke at all, and it hardly uses any oil between 3k changes. All cylinders are 125 or thereabouts, but there is this idle noise, and it ain't the rockers.

We will know soon on the leak or a valve issue.

I am the 3rd owner and PO #2 only changed the the muffler. And he gave me NOS door panels, Motorola replacement speakers and an accelerator cable, all which get mounted next week.

All beliefs accepted here!

Thanks!

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:50 PM