Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Trying to understand early rear bumper styles
Barry Brisco
post Sep 19 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,905
Region Association: None

So I was inspecting a '73 1.7 yesterday that is for sale not too far from me. The seller stated that it has a "914-6 rear bumper". I was skeptical that there was such a thing as a "914-6 rear bumper".

Checking Brett Johnson's book, page 30, my reading of it is that 1970 model year chrome bumpers had a slightly larger rear plate area and a sharper bend on each side of the recess for the plate. But that bumper type was used on both the 4 and the 6 cars.

For the 1971 model year the rear bumper changed slightly, the plate area was a bit narrower and the bend on each side of the recess was more curved. But again, no difference between the 4 and the 6 cars. That rear bumper style continued up through the 1973 model year.

Anyone have any information to the contrary? Below is a photo of the rear bumper of the '73 1.7 I looked at.

Now of course the rear valence was different between the 4 and the 6 cars; but not the bumper. The 6 valence had a hole for the exhaust; the 4 valence had a cutout and is slightly more inboard than the 6 hole.

Thanks,

Barry Brisco
San Mateo, CA
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 05:57 AM