Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trying to understand early rear bumper styles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Barry Brisco
So I was inspecting a '73 1.7 yesterday that is for sale not too far from me. The seller stated that it has a "914-6 rear bumper". I was skeptical that there was such a thing as a "914-6 rear bumper".

Checking Brett Johnson's book, page 30, my reading of it is that 1970 model year chrome bumpers had a slightly larger rear plate area and a sharper bend on each side of the recess for the plate. But that bumper type was used on both the 4 and the 6 cars.

For the 1971 model year the rear bumper changed slightly, the plate area was a bit narrower and the bend on each side of the recess was more curved. But again, no difference between the 4 and the 6 cars. That rear bumper style continued up through the 1973 model year.

Anyone have any information to the contrary? Below is a photo of the rear bumper of the '73 1.7 I looked at.

Now of course the rear valence was different between the 4 and the 6 cars; but not the bumper. The 6 valence had a hole for the exhaust; the 4 valence had a cutout and is slightly more inboard than the 6 hole.

Thanks,

Barry Brisco
San Mateo, CA
Click to view attachment
Socalandy
Thats an early rear bumper but it was used on all early 914's not just the -6 cars.
Gint
QUOTE(Barry Brisco @ Sep 19 2010, 07:22 AM) *
Checking Brett Johnson's book, page 30, my reading of it is that 1970 model year chrome bumpers had a slightly larger rear plate area and a sharper bend on each side of the recess for the plate. But that bumper type was used on both the 4 and the 6 cars.

For the 1971 model year the rear bumper changed slightly, the plate area was a bit narrower and the bend on each side of the recess was more curved. But again, no difference between the 4 and the 6 cars. That rear bumper style continued up through the 1973 model year.

Anyone have any information to the contrary? Below is a photo of the rear bumper of the '73 1.7 I looked at.

Now of course the rear valence was different between the 4 and the 6 cars; but not the bumper. The 6 valence had a hole for the exhaust; the 4 valence had a cutout and is slightly more inboard than the 6 hole.

Thanks,

Barry Brisco
San Mateo, CA
You know, I'm no expert, but I believe that's true. I know that larger square opening was used on 1970 cars, even the 4 cylinders.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Socalandy @ Sep 19 2010, 07:25 AM) *

Thats an early rear bumper but it was used on all early 914's not just the -6 cars.

agree.gif .. That's the 70 MY rear bumper. The seller pobably saw it advertized on evil-bay as an early 914-6/914 bumper & remembered the -6 parts thinking it added value! lol-2.gif

As such - it's not a proper fitment for a 73, which should have the rounded cove style rear bumper used from 71-73 MYs.

Also up through 70-72 - the 914/4's had "Snowplow" rear valences for both -4 & -6 models, but I think you may be right that the -6's porthole may be in a different spot &/or larger - but I find it equally likely that the VW-Porsche JV would've tried to save tooling costs to keep them both the same. Unfortunately the current PET doesn't cover it & I don't have an older one showing the early vs. late & 6 vs. 4 rear valances, but Sir Andy or Jeff Bowlsby or another 6er may know that for sure - or maybe at p914.com

73-76 MY's went to the "Shorty" rear valence which was notched for the exhaust pipe extending out - but the same whether 1.7, 1.8, 2.0 (both GA 73-74 or GC 75-76 motors), even though those exhaust systems & mufflers/exit pipes were different.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 22 2010, 09:53 AM) *

agree.gif .. That's the 70 MY rear bumper. The seller pobably saw it advertized on evil-bay as an early 914-6/914 bumper & remembered the -6 parts thinking it added value! lol-2.gif

agree.gif

However, early /6 owners always look for those in good condition, so they do fetch a bit more than the later bumpers ...
shades.gif Andy

PS: I know of one in *excellent* original condition off a real /6. PM me if you are interested ...
Barry Brisco
Hi Tom,

Actually in this case I believe the owner/seller bought the car with that '70 rear bumper in place. Later some well-meaning but misinformed individuals told him he has a "rare" 914-6 bumper.

I am just quoting Brett's book which shows the '70 model year had one rear bumper style and then it was changed for the '71 to '74 model years.

And yes, the 914-6 rear valence was different than the 4.

Thanks,

Barry

:agree: .. That's the 70 MY rear bumper. The seller pobably saw it advertized on evil-bay as an early 914-6/914 bumper & remembered the -6 parts thinking it added value! :lol4:

As such - it's not a proper fitment for a 73, which should have the rounded cove style rear bumper used from 71-73 MYs.

Also up through 70-72 - the 914/4's had "Snowplow" rear valences for both -4 & -6 models, but I think you may be right that the -6's porthole may be in a different spot &/or larger - but I find it equally likely that the VW-Porsche JV would've tried to save tooling costs to keep them both the same. Unfortunately the current PET doesn't cover it & I don't have an older one showing the early vs. late & 6 vs. 4 rear valances, but Sir Andy or Jeff Bowlsby or another 6er may know that for sure - or maybe at p914.com

73-76 MY's went to the "Shorty" rear valence which was notched for the exhaust pipe extending out - but the same whether 1.7, 1.8, 2.0 (both GA 73-74 or GC 75-76 motors), even though those exhaust systems & mufflers/exit pipes were different.

rekphiv

Confirmed. There are two different "deep" rear valences. the hole is in a different spot from a 4 to a 6. I know I had a deep 6 valence someone made into a 4 unit by patching the hole and cutting a new one. sawzall-smiley.gif headbang.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif
Barry Brisco
Thanks to everyone for your posts. For reasons unrelated to the incorrect rear bumper I have decided to pass on this car. The paint is a very poor respray, there are lots of cosmetic issues, the front trunk has a huge hole where the A/C used to be, and the engine is a tired 1.7. But the car has very little rust and the engine compartment is really clean.

Barry
McMark
Yup, as stated above.

There are three bumpers:
1970 square model
1971-1974 rounded model
1975-1976 rubber model

There are three rear valences:
1970-1972 four cylinder long model
1970-1972 six cylinder long model
1973-1976 short model
Root_Werks
Rust is the SINGLE biggest issue with 914's. If it truly has little to no rust, I'd buy that long before one with perfect paint that needed hell-hole repair.
larss
I always thought they changed from square to rounded bumper due to the risk of reflexions in the flat areas from the licence plate lights...is that a confirmed theory?

/Lars S
Barry Brisco
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 22 2010, 10:47 AM) *

Rust is the SINGLE biggest issue with 914's. If it truly has little to no rust, I'd buy that long before one with perfect paint that needed hell-hole repair.

I agree. But I cannot justify spending many many thousands of dollars in paint and cosmetic repairs, and rebuilding an engine, on a 1.7 car priced at $5.5K. You would end up with a total investment that far exceeds the market value of the car.

Barry
7TPorsh
Anyone have a pic of the valences? is it notch vs. hole?
McMark
The late 'shorty' valence is pictureed above. The long valence is similar for 914-4 & 914-6. Lots of good info in this thread.

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.