Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trying to understand early rear bumper styles
Barry Brisco
post Sep 19 2010, 08:22 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,905
Region Association: None

So I was inspecting a '73 1.7 yesterday that is for sale not too far from me. The seller stated that it has a "914-6 rear bumper". I was skeptical that there was such a thing as a "914-6 rear bumper".

Checking Brett Johnson's book, page 30, my reading of it is that 1970 model year chrome bumpers had a slightly larger rear plate area and a sharper bend on each side of the recess for the plate. But that bumper type was used on both the 4 and the 6 cars.

For the 1971 model year the rear bumper changed slightly, the plate area was a bit narrower and the bend on each side of the recess was more curved. But again, no difference between the 4 and the 6 cars. That rear bumper style continued up through the 1973 model year.

Anyone have any information to the contrary? Below is a photo of the rear bumper of the '73 1.7 I looked at.

Now of course the rear valence was different between the 4 and the 6 cars; but not the bumper. The 6 valence had a hole for the exhaust; the 4 valence had a cutout and is slightly more inboard than the 6 hole.

Thanks,

Barry Brisco
San Mateo, CA
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Socalandy
post Sep 19 2010, 08:25 AM
Post #2

Its got to be Yellow!!!

Member No.: 10,742
Region Association: Southern California

Thats an early rear bumper but it was used on all early 914's not just the -6 cars.
+Quote Post
Gint
post Sep 19 2010, 08:27 AM
Post #3

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Barry Brisco @ Sep 19 2010, 07:22 AM) *
Checking Brett Johnson's book, page 30, my reading of it is that 1970 model year chrome bumpers had a slightly larger rear plate area and a sharper bend on each side of the recess for the plate. But that bumper type was used on both the 4 and the 6 cars.

For the 1971 model year the rear bumper changed slightly, the plate area was a bit narrower and the bend on each side of the recess was more curved. But again, no difference between the 4 and the 6 cars. That rear bumper style continued up through the 1973 model year.

Anyone have any information to the contrary? Below is a photo of the rear bumper of the '73 1.7 I looked at.

Now of course the rear valence was different between the 4 and the 6 cars; but not the bumper. The 6 valence had a hole for the exhaust; the 4 valence had a cutout and is slightly more inboard than the 6 hole.

Thanks,

Barry Brisco
San Mateo, CA
You know, I'm no expert, but I believe that's true. I know that larger square opening was used on 1970 cars, even the 4 cylinders.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Sep 22 2010, 10:53 AM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181

QUOTE(Socalandy @ Sep 19 2010, 07:25 AM) *

Thats an early rear bumper but it was used on all early 914's not just the -6 cars.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) .. That's the 70 MY rear bumper. The seller pobably saw it advertized on evil-bay as an early 914-6/914 bumper & remembered the -6 parts thinking it added value! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

As such - it's not a proper fitment for a 73, which should have the rounded cove style rear bumper used from 71-73 MYs.

Also up through 70-72 - the 914/4's had "Snowplow" rear valences for both -4 & -6 models, but I think you may be right that the -6's porthole may be in a different spot &/or larger - but I find it equally likely that the VW-Porsche JV would've tried to save tooling costs to keep them both the same. Unfortunately the current PET doesn't cover it & I don't have an older one showing the early vs. late & 6 vs. 4 rear valances, but Sir Andy or Jeff Bowlsby or another 6er may know that for sure - or maybe at p914.com

73-76 MY's went to the "Shorty" rear valence which was notched for the exhaust pipe extending out - but the same whether 1.7, 1.8, 2.0 (both GA 73-74 or GC 75-76 motors), even though those exhaust systems & mufflers/exit pipes were different.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Sep 22 2010, 11:30 AM
Post #5

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Sep 22 2010, 09:53 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) .. That's the 70 MY rear bumper. The seller pobably saw it advertized on evil-bay as an early 914-6/914 bumper & remembered the -6 parts thinking it added value! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

However, early /6 owners always look for those in good condition, so they do fetch a bit more than the later bumpers ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy

PS: I know of one in *excellent* original condition off a real /6. PM me if you are interested ...
+Quote Post
Barry Brisco
post Sep 22 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #6

Hi Tom,

Actually in this case I believe the owner/seller bought the car with that '70 rear bumper in place. Later some well-meaning but misinformed individuals told him he has a "rare" 914-6 bumper.

I am just quoting Brett's book which shows the '70 model year had one rear bumper style and then it was changed for the '71 to '74 model years.

And yes, the 914-6 rear valence was different than the 4.

Thanks,

Barry

:agree: .. That's the 70 MY rear bumper. The seller pobably saw it advertized on evil-bay as an early 914-6/914 bumper & remembered the -6 parts thinking it added value! :lol4:

As such - it's not a proper fitment for a 73, which should have the rounded cove style rear bumper used from 71-73 MYs.

Also up through 70-72 - the 914/4's had "Snowplow" rear valences for both -4 & -6 models, but I think you may be right that the -6's porthole may be in a different spot &/or larger - but I find it equally likely that the VW-Porsche JV would've tried to save tooling costs to keep them both the same. Unfortunately the current PET doesn't cover it & I don't have an older one showing the early vs. late & 6 vs. 4 rear valances, but Sir Andy or Jeff Bowlsby or another 6er may know that for sure - or maybe at p914.com

73-76 MY's went to the "Shorty" rear valence which was notched for the exhaust pipe extending out - but the same whether 1.7, 1.8, 2.0 (both GA 73-74 or GC 75-76 motors), even though those exhaust systems & mufflers/exit pipes were different.

+Quote Post
rekphiv
post Sep 22 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,086

Confirmed. There are two different "deep" rear valences. the hole is in a different spot from a 4 to a 6. I know I had a deep 6 valence someone made into a 4 unit by patching the hole and cutting a new one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
Barry Brisco
post Sep 22 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #8

Thanks to everyone for your posts. For reasons unrelated to the incorrect rear bumper I have decided to pass on this car. The paint is a very poor respray, there are lots of cosmetic issues, the front trunk has a huge hole where the A/C used to be, and the engine is a tired 1.7. But the car has very little rust and the engine compartment is really clean.

Barry
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 22 2010, 11:46 AM
Post #9

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Yup, as stated above.

There are three bumpers:
1970 square model
1971-1974 rounded model
1975-1976 rubber model

There are three rear valences:
1970-1972 four cylinder long model
1970-1972 six cylinder long model
1973-1976 short model
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 22 2010, 11:47 AM
Post #10

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Rust is the SINGLE biggest issue with 914's. If it truly has little to no rust, I'd buy that long before one with perfect paint that needed hell-hole repair.
+Quote Post
larss
post Sep 22 2010, 12:13 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 10,787
Region Association: Scandinavia

I always thought they changed from square to rounded bumper due to the risk of reflexions in the flat areas from the licence plate lights...is that a confirmed theory?

/Lars S
+Quote Post
Barry Brisco
post Sep 22 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #12

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Sep 22 2010, 10:47 AM) *

Rust is the SINGLE biggest issue with 914's. If it truly has little to no rust, I'd buy that long before one with perfect paint that needed hell-hole repair.

I agree. But I cannot justify spending many many thousands of dollars in paint and cosmetic repairs, and rebuilding an engine, on a 1.7 car priced at $5.5K. You would end up with a total investment that far exceeds the market value of the car.

Barry
+Quote Post
7TPorsh
post Sep 22 2010, 12:44 PM
Post #13

7T Porsh

Member No.: 5,782

Anyone have a pic of the valences? is it notch vs. hole?
+Quote Post
McMark
post Sep 22 2010, 02:10 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

The late 'shorty' valence is pictureed above. The long valence is similar for 914-4 & 914-6. Lots of good info in this thread.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-419-1203578472.jpg)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th May 2024 - 01:39 PM