Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Progress on the conversion (finally)
Scott S
post Oct 7 2010, 09:56 AM
Post #1

Small Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 633

Finally made some progress on the conversion last night! I know to most of you, this is no big deal. but my time is so limited that I cant tell you how pleased I am.

Last night I got the Rich Johnson motor mount installed, as well as the brake lines all reattached. I was able to use the stock safety valve in it’s stock location thanks to some guidance by Mr Shea. (thanks again Eric). Everything is welded up and painted (black to match the current finish of the engine compartment).
The hardest part? #1 – when others “clean” the shop and randomly hide things that you need (the entire hardware package from Rich – took me an hour to find it)
#2 the damn seats. I forgot to move them forward prior to putting the car on the lift. The combination of the lift posts (doors would not open all the way), the top being on, the bolsters on the Renegade seats and me being a big fat guy made this a very frustrating experience. After fighting with it for 45 minutes, I finally threw in the towel and pulled the car down off the lift so I could get inside and do it right. After that, things went pretty smoothly.

Biggest concern was the brakes. I had forgotten that I had never replaced the rear hard lines. I was pretty certain that I would break at least one (if not all three) when trying to remove them from the rear safety valve, being they had been untouched for 38+ years. I got lucky. I little bit of pressure and they came off cleanly. The brakes on this car have always been very good and very low maintenance since the system was gone through 10-15 years ago. I was so pleased that I was able to retain the factory valve (in the stock location) and keep the system intact as is.

Next week I will cut the holes for the oil tank and the access panel in the firewall. Feels so good to make some progress.

Sorry no pics at this point – will try to remember the camera next week.

Thanks again to Eric, Rich, Perry and Gint for all of the help. Never would have even made it this far without them.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 10:45 PM