Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 20 YO dream coming true today.
4WheelDrifter
post Apr 20 2004, 04:56 AM
Post #1

Having a mid-life crisis @ 35

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,934

Some here already know I'm getting a 914 today. Less know how long I've wanted one, 20 years.

I was 14 at the time I got turned onto Porsches buy a customer at a variety store/coffee shop I woked at back then. For some reason I latched onto the 914, maybe because it was the under dog, maybe something else.

When I was 17, I picked up a rotted 72 1.7 cheap and started to fix it but the rust was beyond my budget and abilities so I let it go.

Things happened since that, one way or another, prevented me from buying a 914. No place to put it, no money to buy one, or my Motorcycle fascination but the want of a 914 never went away.

Fast forward and it's March 29th, 2004. I'm riding my motorcycle home from running arrands and enjoying a nice spring day. Riding along the little lakes in the area seemd like a good way to get home (Twisty roads that rise and fall are a favorite). As I crest a sharp rise, a car was pulling out from a dirt area on the other side, blocking my path. With only a second to react I hit the brakes and headed towards the shoulder to avoid the car. Missed the car but hit the wonderful sand they use when it snows and down I went.

To make this story a bit shorter, I ended up with a totalled bike and a badly dislocated thumb. Yes, it could have been much worse if i wasn't wearing full riding gear. The leather suit was toast and the helmet took 2 hits to the asphalt (with my head inside). I was lucky. So after riding 15 years and 125,000 miles later, I'm taking a little break from riding. I do have another bike sitting in the garage but it needs some carb work and fork seals but I'll let that sit for a bit longer.

So with the money from the totalled bike, suit and helmet, I'm buying a 914 and I'm getting it today. Last night felt like Christmas eve and I was 6 years old again. Had trouble getting to sleep and I was up much earlier than normal this A.M. The weather is good, the insurance for the car is set, All I need is the car and a trip to the DMV and my 20 year old dream will finally be a reality. I feel pretty damn good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 06:24 PM