Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Custom Door Handles, Are there any available?
palmer_md
post Jan 10 2011, 02:05 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,389
Region Association: Northern California

I'm trying to find out if anybody makes custom door handles for the 914. I have not come across any using the search function, but there are lots of results and reading entire threads is becoming tedious. Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction if something exists.

I have had the driver side door handle break twice on me. Fortunately the passenger side door was functioning and I was able to get into the car without breaking windows or anything drastic. After the second time, I just removed the door handles from my car and I run without them. I'm not too worried about parking without locking the car, and most people can't figure out how to open the door right now even without the handle. For me its easy to just stick your thumb into the hole and push the button to open the door. Ever since I've been running this way I've been thinking about building a small plate the shape of the original door handle, but without any moving parts. Just a plate, and then a button in the middle that presses the button on the inside of the door. This would look better than it does right now, and get the same functionality. It could be even better if the button had a keylock that kept it from getting pressed. The door would essentially be unlocked, but the button could not be pressed to push the interior button. (is this making sense?)

I did see that somebody uses electric actuators for the door, and this might be a good option as well. I just need to figure out how they open the door in the event of a dead battery.

Hopefully somebody can point me to an already complete project, or maybe will stimulate some ideas for me to fabricate my own door handle.

Thanks,
Michael
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:15 PM