Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Custom Door Handles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
palmer_md
I'm trying to find out if anybody makes custom door handles for the 914. I have not come across any using the search function, but there are lots of results and reading entire threads is becoming tedious. Hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction if something exists.

I have had the driver side door handle break twice on me. Fortunately the passenger side door was functioning and I was able to get into the car without breaking windows or anything drastic. After the second time, I just removed the door handles from my car and I run without them. I'm not too worried about parking without locking the car, and most people can't figure out how to open the door right now even without the handle. For me its easy to just stick your thumb into the hole and push the button to open the door. Ever since I've been running this way I've been thinking about building a small plate the shape of the original door handle, but without any moving parts. Just a plate, and then a button in the middle that presses the button on the inside of the door. This would look better than it does right now, and get the same functionality. It could be even better if the button had a keylock that kept it from getting pressed. The door would essentially be unlocked, but the button could not be pressed to push the interior button. (is this making sense?)

I did see that somebody uses electric actuators for the door, and this might be a good option as well. I just need to figure out how they open the door in the event of a dead battery.

Hopefully somebody can point me to an already complete project, or maybe will stimulate some ideas for me to fabricate my own door handle.

Thanks,
Michael
SirAndy
I wonder if a rear trunk lock could be modified to be used as a lockable push button?

idea.gif
Rand
Here's what I did a few years ago.
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=39613
URY914
Broken door handles can be fixed ya know.
palmer_md
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jan 10 2011, 12:51 PM) *

Broken door handles can be fixed ya know.

I know. I fixed mine twice, and I've read of others fixing door handles dozens of times. I'd like to install something that will last as long as the car and not break every 2-5 years.
underthetire
Mine lasted 28 years, thats pretty good I think.
Cap'n Krusty
When you "service" your car, and not just do a tuneup and an oil change, the door latch mechanisms get lubricated. We used to do it all the time, but people tend to take the cheapest way out and chassis servicing has fallen out of favor. It's not that your door handles are weak, it's that you're asking them to move components that haven't been properly cleaned, adjusted, or lubricated for years, if not decades.

The Cap'n
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 10 2011, 03:13 PM) *

When you "service" your car, and not just do a tuneup and an oil change, the door latch mechanisms get lubricated. We used to do it all the time, but people tend to take the cheapest way out and chassis servicing has fallen out of favor. It's not that your door handles are weak, it's that you're asking them to move components that haven't been properly cleaned, adjusted, or lubricated for years, if not decades.

The Cap'n

agree.gif Exactly what I was going to say. Pull the door latch mechanism and clen and lube it. Check for excessive wear that will caus the thing to bind. Also check how the door latches. If you hinges are sagging the latch will bind causing stress on the handle.
SGB
real oil, not w-d 39
dlo914
I've always liked the simplicity of the Gen1 Miata door handles. Just googled it and found these two custom applications of the miata handle:

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/howto/55343/index.html
http://www.mustangandfords.com/featuredveh...rich_tires.html

IPB Image
john rogers
You could do something like this which was on a race car that I saw in a race in Mexicali MX back in 2003. Note the young mechanic is getting the cordless drill ready to put in several sheet metal screws to hold the door tightly shut!
orange914
QUOTE(john rogers @ Jan 10 2011, 04:09 PM) *

You could do something like this which was on a race car that I saw in a race in Mexicali MX back in 2003. Note the young mechanic is getting the cordless drill ready to put in several sheet metal screws to hold the door tightly shut!

is that a fense striker 7 latch??? biggrin.gif
carr914
The biggest problem with the door latchs are the people using them.

It takes very little effort to use them, but people pull on them like they starting up their lawnmower !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.