Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I found my Vibration Gremlin, and rung that lil sob's neck
76-914
post Feb 12 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

OK. After a year of chasing my friggin tail I found my vibration. Let the Pontiff begin. I was butt dumb when I first put my 914 together. I didn't want to chance buying a set of tires only to find out that they were too large. So I bought the same size as on it 165/80R15. There weren't that many tires available so I ended up w/ a cheap import tire. I went thru 2 balances, 2 alignments, tire trueing, multiple rotations. I could chase it away momentarily but it would always reappear. I even put the wheels/tires from my '73 on it and no difference. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I'd examined the ball joints, tie rod ends and a arm bushings previously but WTF. Besides, Dave and Cesar and everyone else was rebuilding his, so why not. As I separated the ball joint I was thinking "Oh shit" I screwed this up for no reason. It looked really good and showed no slop when forced earlier. Wrong. I was surprised to find that's all it was.
One very interesting foot note. When I switched the larger tires from the '73 earlier, I noticed the increased drag from the weight difference. And both cars have identical brand wheels. It makes me wonder if my car wasn't intended to run the smaller tires. They're faster and they stick to the road like a booger on bus seat. Maybe Porsche tried bigger tires and said "Why?" What do I know. It took me a year to figure this one out.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 01:19 AM