Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I found my Vibration Gremlin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
76-914
OK. After a year of chasing my friggin tail I found my vibration. Let the Pontiff begin. I was butt dumb when I first put my 914 together. I didn't want to chance buying a set of tires only to find out that they were too large. So I bought the same size as on it 165/80R15. There weren't that many tires available so I ended up w/ a cheap import tire. I went thru 2 balances, 2 alignments, tire trueing, multiple rotations. I could chase it away momentarily but it would always reappear. I even put the wheels/tires from my '73 on it and no difference. WTF.gif I'd examined the ball joints, tie rod ends and a arm bushings previously but WTF. Besides, Dave and Cesar and everyone else was rebuilding his, so why not. As I separated the ball joint I was thinking "Oh shit" I screwed this up for no reason. It looked really good and showed no slop when forced earlier. Wrong. I was surprised to find that's all it was.
One very interesting foot note. When I switched the larger tires from the '73 earlier, I noticed the increased drag from the weight difference. And both cars have identical brand wheels. It makes me wonder if my car wasn't intended to run the smaller tires. They're faster and they stick to the road like a booger on bus seat. Maybe Porsche tried bigger tires and said "Why?" What do I know. It took me a year to figure this one out.
McMark
I'm a little confused. You separated the ball joint and replaced it?

Glad to hear you got it sorted out though.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 12 2011, 09:42 PM) *

...Let the Pontiff begin...

What does the head of the roman catholic church have to do with wheel vibrations on a 914?
silver74insocal
beerchug.gif sweet so a new ball joint did it then? you did both sides yeah? i see some in my future as well as tie rods but i got awhile. a gnarly oil leak and new tires are next for me....did you get at your bushings?
phatnine11
Kent,
Did cut the balljoint retaining nuts or were you able to use the old ones?
Cesar
76-914
QUOTE(McMark @ Feb 12 2011, 06:52 PM) *

I'm a little confused. You separated the ball joint and replaced it?
Yea, from the bottom of the strut w/ a fork tool. Isw that what you meant?
Glad to hear you got it sorted out though.

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 12 2011, 07:03 PM) *

What does the head of the roman catholic church have to do with wheel vibrations on a 914?

A play on Pontificate. In that it was a very "long winded" explanation, Chris. Not a slap at anyones belief system.

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Feb 12 2011, 07:49 PM) *

beerchug.gif sweet so a new ball joint did it then? you did both sides yeah? i see some in my future as well as tie rods but i got awhile. a gnarly oil leak and new tires are next for me....did you get at your bushings?

Hey Dave, Did you chase down your gremlins? Both sides, yes. I had planned on doing the bushings but when I got to them I found that they were tighter than socks on a rooster so I left them alone. Whats with the oil leak?

QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Feb 12 2011, 08:29 PM) *

Kent,
Did cut the balljoint retaining nuts or were you able to use the old ones?
Cesar

I didn't have to cut them. I made a wrench for them but I honestly believe a 14" pipe wrench works better. The trick is to rotate the wrench, applying pressure at seceral points rather than one. Less chance of getting it out of round plus it help in breaking loose rust and corrosion.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 13 2011, 10:53 AM) *

A play on Pontificate. In that it was a very "long winded" explanation, Chris. Not a slap at anyones belief system.

If the pope knew how to repair 914s at least he'd be good for something...
... this from a guy who went to catholic high school.
IBTL biggrin.gif
Als914
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Feb 13 2011, 08:01 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 13 2011, 10:53 AM) *

If the pope knew how to repair 914s at least he'd be good for something...
... this from a guy who went to catholic high school.
IBTL biggrin.gif

av-943.gif
Elliot Cannon
So, was it the cheap ass tires or the ball joints. Your post was as confusing as a 747 captain writing in the log book. lol-2.gif

"Stick like a booger on a bus seat". lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
Spoke
Ball joints will do it.

In PA, those are a oft inspected item. State inspection stations will raise both front wheels, grab the tire at 3 and 9 o'clock and shake back and forth to check tie rods; grab at 12 and 6 o'clock and shake to check for ball joints.

Any play in the ball joints or tie rods will be evident in these tests.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.