Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I think I screwed up my rear wheel bearing install, again. :( Another $50 down the drain...
3liter914-6
post May 12 2004, 11:28 PM
Post #1

Master of Clueless Posts

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,238
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

So I screwed up one of my bearings last night. The first one just slid right in smooth as glass. The second one went in a little cockeyed and wouldn't budge. Had to pound it out, one bearing down. So I went and got a new bearing this AM, and a few pounds of dry ice to cool it down super fast. A little persuasion with an appropriate drift and it was sunk home.

Put the trailing arm on the car, and fab'd up the PP tech article tool and started cranking it down. Well something went wrong, too small of a socket or too weak of a washer (it bent), and the hub ended up a little cockeyed in the bearing. Not too far in maybe 1cm. stuck fast, so seeing no other option, I tapped it out from the rear. I just want to make sure the bearing is screwed, right? The seal popped off a little bit and I can see the balls in on the race. I can't think of any actual bearing bits that I damaged, but if the seal has popped out, that's pretty much it for the bearing, right? If I weren't going to take the car anywhere, I guess I'd just try and reseat the seal and see where the chips fall, but I don't want to replace any bearings on the road, so I'm best off replacing it rather than trying to reseal it, right?

Thanks,

Adam
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 03:37 PM