Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> engine rebuild, questions
TROJANMAN
post Jun 22 2004, 01:02 PM
Post #1

Looks nice in pictures.........

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

my mechanic has given me an estimate for his rebuild, but i need advice in which direction to take:

his estimate reads: rings, main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, rod bushings, can/followers, F&R seals, recon rods, hone cylinders, polish crank, magnaflux crank, for a price $-.--
but then he adds: replace the pistons and cylinders for an extra $675

am i missing something? do i pay extra for the replacement parts, or is reconditioning good enough?

i should also note that this is his additional estimate for the complete motor. i received a separate estimate when i was only going to do the top end.

i really don't pretend to know anything about mechanics, so i am relying on you guys for help.

i'm not questioning his pricing methods, i'm just trying to figure out how to have my engine rebuilt right the first time. i don't want to cut corners.
thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_flagge6.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
TROJANMAN   engine rebuild   Jun 22 2004, 01:02 PM
Mueller   to me, the pistons and cylinders are consumables (...   Jun 22 2004, 01:10 PM
skline   Well, if you dont want to cut corners, then I woul...   Jun 22 2004, 01:11 PM
seanery   If you decide to swap P/Cs I would spec out exactl...   Jun 22 2004, 01:17 PM
TROJANMAN   <...   Jun 22 2004, 01:34 PM
lmcchesney   Gregor, I feel like I walked into the middle of th...   Jun 22 2004, 09:13 PM
TROJANMAN   lmcc it started out as a top end rebuild from a dr...   Jun 22 2004, 09:34 PM
lmcchesney   Evilbay is a source at reduced prices, but it is h...   Jun 23 2004, 07:20 AM
TROJANMAN  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 08:02 AM