Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Ethical dilemma, Old shop or new shop?
flipb
post Nov 1 2011, 12:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I know it's silly to agonize over these things, but there are plenty of professional mechanics on this board and thought they'd have good insights:

After I bought my first 914 two years ago, I researched local Porsche mechanics. I found a guy - we'll call him Tom - who was highly recommended for his skill and honesty. As a bonus, he was using space at a German Car shop about 3 miles from my house.

Over the past two years, Tom has done a ton of work on my 914... new clutch, starter, fuel pump, master cylinder, converted from Progressive carb to dual EMPIs, valve adjust, oil changes, and many small things along the way. We've had a great relationship and he's very honest and trustworthy - for instance, refused to charge me for over an hour of carb tuning because he still wasn't happy with how they were running.

Tom confided in me that he wasn't happy with the German Car shop where he was working. He wanted to open his own shop. Long story short, I introduced him to an attorney (my brother) who helped him launch his own shop. He's got a great new facility - huge place with three lifts, and has already hired up a staff. A large clientele has followed him to the new shop. Mostly 911s and 944s.

Problem is, the new shop is 30 miles from where I live.

A couple months back, I needed an oil leak diagnosed quickly, as well as a valve adjustment and oil change. I found another Porsche shop close (~5 miles) to home and stopped by to pay them a visit. It's a father-son operation and they've got a ton of experience with 914's - they used to race-prep several, and the son has one for his DD. The father is a master of the black art of carb tuning. They're also a Brad Penn shop (Tom doesn't use BPenn). After a week at their shop, my 914 is running great - carbs in tune, seems to like the Brad Penn oil, and leaking has been reduced to a trickle.

So you see where this is heading... here's the complicating factor:

A few weeks ago, Tom had an open lift day at his new shop. I went by to check it out and wish him well. I mentioned that the other shop had done some work for me and he seemed fairly disappointed - not upset at me, just reluctant to lose me as a customer. He even offered to let me drop my car at his house, which is <10 miles from where I live, anytime it needs work. He also put the 914 up on his lift and checked the front wheel bearings for me. They need replacing.

The father/son shop definitely seems more experienced with 914's, and certainly more convenient. Am I a bastard if I bring it to them for new wheel bearings, when Tom helped me diagnose the issue and is offering whatever it takes to keep me as a customer? Truth is, if I had no prior relationship with any of these guys, I'd choose the father/son shop as they just know 914's better. But I feel bad not doing whatever I can to help Tom be successful in his new shop.

My 1,000th post, yay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
flipb   Ethical dilemma   Nov 1 2011, 12:31 PM
porschefile2010   Just do what is best for your 914. Sounds like New...   Nov 1 2011, 12:54 PM
BajaXJ92   How close of a friend are you to Tom? Where can y...   Nov 1 2011, 12:58 PM
zymurgist   How close of a friend are you to Tom? Where can ...   Nov 3 2011, 01:34 PM
GeorgeRud   If you like a shop, use them as they all need the ...   Nov 1 2011, 01:00 PM
scotty b   My 2 cents. I know who you are talking about, and ...   Nov 1 2011, 01:04 PM
JRust   My 2 cents. I know who you are talking about, and...   Nov 1 2011, 01:15 PM
JawjaPorsche   It doesn't seem fair that you a choice between...   Nov 1 2011, 01:44 PM
mikea100   ... We've had a great relationship and he...   Nov 1 2011, 01:45 PM
flipb   Appreciate all the feedback. I am lucky to have go...   Nov 1 2011, 02:10 PM
somd914   Man, I have 65+ miles to drive for a shop... Don...   Nov 1 2011, 07:23 PM
kg6dxn   I just realized... If I take mine to a shop, it ma...   Nov 1 2011, 08:22 PM
bigkensteele   Wish I had your problem! It comes down to dec...   Nov 1 2011, 08:39 PM
RickS   I think you did, let's call him Tom, one hellu...   Nov 1 2011, 11:52 PM
Vacca Rabite   Stick with the guy you trust and have a working re...   Nov 2 2011, 04:24 AM
a914dude   Get a AAA card and send your ride over on the flat...   Nov 2 2011, 04:43 AM
sixaddict   Two shops is like having two girl friends ...nobod...   Nov 2 2011, 07:45 PM
hcdmueller   Don't feel too bad. I take my motorcycle for ...   Nov 3 2011, 01:07 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 05:45 PM