Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Really really really stuck ball joints!, How hard is it to get these out?
mike_the_man
post Aug 4 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #1

I like stuff!

Group: Members
Member No.: 809

I'm trying to remove my seized shock, and I decided that it would be easiest to remove the entire strut assembly. So, I undid the tie rod end, and removed the brakes. All that's left is the ball joint. I pulled out the 'double taper bolt' and I assumed that the hub would pull off of the ball joint farily easy. Boy was I wrong! I had a 5 foot pry bar and I was jumping on it (and I ain't a little guy), and the damn thing didn't even budge. So, whats the secret to seperating the ball joint from the strut? And once the strut is out, whats the secret for getting the shock out?

I have original Bilsteins, with the Bilstein struts. I've heard there is a roll pin that needs to be driven out, and I think I'm hitting it, but it's seized right up. It soaked in penetrating oil for 6 days, and I still can't even budge it. Also, is there a gland nut at the top of a Bilstein strut, or just the roll pin holding the shock in. Somebody must have some experience with this. Help me out, I'm frustrated and I hate my car right now! Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
mike_the_man   Really really really stuck ball joints!   Aug 4 2004, 10:45 PM
Aaron Cox   ball joint from strut: leave strut bolted in to th...   Aug 4 2004, 10:47 PM
SpecialK   "Pickle-fork" and a 2.5 lb maul. Well, it worked ...   Aug 4 2004, 10:57 PM
Lawrence   Aaron's right about rapping on the arm. That ...   Aug 4 2004, 10:57 PM
Brad Roberts   Kinda... put the shock back into the top... put ...   Aug 4 2004, 10:57 PM
mike_the_man   Thanks guys, that was really quick! I had a j...   Aug 4 2004, 11:08 PM
Brad Roberts   Heat. Mapp gas or propane torch. Give up saving th...   Aug 4 2004, 11:10 PM
RAR   The teeter totter tool (my characterization) worke...   Aug 4 2004, 11:54 PM
Lawrence  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 04:35 AM