Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New to forum and 914's, first engine start in 30 years?
Fleetwood914
post Dec 31 2011, 01:50 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,949
Region Association: None

Hey guys, new to the forum with very little 914 working knowledge.

Helping my dad get his '72 914-4 back to drivable condition after lying dormant for almost 30 years, mostly thanks to me being born. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

Pretty familiar with wrenching on my own car, '95 Caprice 9C1. Yes, the cop car...
Got it setup for autoX/track days, hoping to eventually help my dad do the same with his 914.

What should be done for proper prep before trying to start the car for the first time in 30 years?

Pull spark plugs and get some penetrating oil down the cylinders?

Any way to turn the oil pump with a drill or anything like that?

Obviously draining the tank and fresh gas, but will build up and varnish be an issue even with fresh gas?

Best way to turn the motor over by hand to make sure things are moving freely? Dad says there is a nut on the fan, attached to crank that would probably work? Direction to turn?

Not at all familiar with these engines or starting long dormant cars.

Any info or advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Here is a pic with Dad from Christmas after unearthing the car from 30 years worth of junk piled on and around it.Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 02:07 PM