Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Sixer Project Mechanically Completed and Road Testing
shoguneagle
post Aug 1 2012, 02:48 AM
Post #1

shoguneagle

Group: Members
Member No.: 84
Region Association: Northern California

The mechanical aspects of my Sixer Project are coming to a close with just one modification left to (911 e-brake cables). Just to get to this point, seven years and considerable changes have taken place to the car which still needs to be sanded, sealed and painted.

I really enjoyed building this car much more than the 914-V8 I built back in the late seventies. This car handles so much better and is better balanced. It will be a joy to take long distance trips in it once I get the dependability established.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

Always wanted to add the above quote and decided to do it before anyone else. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

The pictures will be coming shortly showing the current status of the car and a report on how it is doing.

The car is 1974 914 converted to 1987 911 Carrera Sixer engine. It has retained all the original engine injection and related components except I installed a K&N inlet system. I am using the stock 1987 911 oil tank with all the 911 guages working and installed. I added a vacuum guage and amp guage. In addition, the oil system has a thermo/bypass valve and front oil cooler installed.

Exhaust consists of the original 1987 heat exchangers and heating system connected and working. Everything does fit and does work.

The exhaust system consists of two exhaust pipes with two CAT converters attached to each. I am making water at each tailpipe. A little noisy at high rpm's but below 3500 it is ok.

I had the Great Doc Evil work is majic on the transmission and it came back with the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gears changed to match the 3.2 engine. He did a great job; excellent asset for our cars.

Front suspension consists of a completely rebuilt rack and pinion, new 21mm torsion bars, 22mm sway bars, Koni Reds Adjustable shocks, Elephant Racing brass inserts on the torsion bar housings with zert fittings, etc.

Rear suspension consists of rear trailing arms having new Elephant Racing brass inserts on the suspension with zert fittings, Elephant Racing Bolt kit and inserts, 180-200lbs springs with adjustable perches, Koni Reds Adjustable shocks, stock rear sway bar with new attachment inserts, etc.

Front and rear brakes are complete 911 Carrera type including e-brake. Eric provided me with great insight and information regarding this matter which made the conversion easy. I am running the 911 rotors, calipers, etc which came from a 1987 Carrera.

Rear half-shafts (sway-a-way), 108mm CV Joints, 911 hubs, transaxle drive flanges, etc. have been changed over to handle the 3.2 engine power.

Several stress kits have been added from our vendors such as Racer Chris and many others. This project could not have been completed without their input of information and quality products. The rear suspension is stressed where the rear suspension attaches, longs with Brad Mayuer's kit, Engleman's inner kit, etc. The body has been seam welded in critical parts, etc. In short, the body does not flex which could be good or bad depending on application - actually a little stiff for road car, could be best for the race track; have to see about adjusting the suspension to the best possible use. There are probably many other things done but this info at least gives the background what has been done to the car.

I have used one of our vendor's fuse box and changed everything over to the blade type fuses. I have installed fuses on wires running from the battery to the different battery hot wires for protection while starting and troubleshooting. These I will leave since I think they give a protection to the electric system.

I stll need to prepare the body for paint, sand and seal, paint. This will follow next year and should be ready for the events in the Bay Area in 2014.

Additional items to add include the seals, interior (which has already been done), cover the dash front and top, emergency brake cables, etc.

Car has fiberglass fender extensions which encase 17inch Cup II rims running:
front - 7 inch 205/50 with spacers; rear - 9inch 235/45 with spacers.

I do not know nor do I care how much money was spent since this has been a very enjoyable seven year project and I have met great people. It is well worth the entire effort. Any additions to this project may be a hitch assembly and building a 914 trailer. This sounds interesting and could be used in traveling/camping, etc. Only time and future will determine any additional continuation to this project after painting/driving/adjustments/etc.

Shake down trils beging this coming Saturday between rain storms. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
shoguneagle   Sixer Project Mechanically Completed and Road Testing   Aug 1 2012, 02:48 AM
billh1963   Great write-up....looking forward to the pictures...   Aug 1 2012, 04:34 AM
Cairo94507   Sounds very nice; looking forward to the pictures ...   Aug 1 2012, 07:09 AM
shoguneagle   Do not know how nice it is or looks since I have c...   Aug 2 2012, 01:31 PM
rktmn247   Glad your conversion is running! Sounds like ...   Aug 2 2012, 09:07 PM
shoguneagle   The areas that I need to clean up involve the heat...   Aug 3 2012, 02:22 AM
ThinAir   Looking forward to seeing it! I saw a multi-c...   Aug 3 2012, 11:59 PM
shoguneagle   Yes. That was the car going to the muffler shop. ...   Aug 13 2012, 06:01 PM
JmuRiz   Can't wait to see some pictures, I like the ou...   Aug 14 2012, 01:16 PM
shoguneagle   I have not forgotten my promise for pictures. Sti...   Aug 20 2012, 12:30 AM
shoguneagle   This photo reflects the new locations for the 911...   Aug 24 2012, 06:27 AM
shoguneagle   Another view of the rear trunk showing the oil ta...   Aug 24 2012, 06:30 AM
shoguneagle   The 911 instruments etal   Aug 24 2012, 06:33 AM
shoguneagle   Another of the progress completed   Aug 24 2012, 06:36 AM
shoguneagle   Left side underneath showing the bottom heater ex...   Aug 24 2012, 06:39 AM
shoguneagle   oil lines routed underneath the car   Aug 24 2012, 06:42 AM
shoguneagle   right side of transaxle showing clutch cable atta...   Aug 24 2012, 06:45 AM
shoguneagle   shows some of the throttle at the right side of t...   Aug 24 2012, 06:47 AM
shoguneagle   RE: Sixer Project Mechanically Completed and Road Testing   Aug 24 2012, 06:49 AM
shoguneagle   RE: Sixer Project Mechanically Completed and Road Testing   Aug 24 2012, 06:51 AM
shoguneagle   underneath left side of the car showing the left ...   Aug 24 2012, 06:53 AM
shoguneagle   RE: Sixer Project Mechanically Completed and Road Testing   Aug 24 2012, 06:56 AM
shoguneagle   RE: Sixer Project Mechanically Completed and Road Testing   Aug 24 2012, 06:58 AM
shoguneagle   RE: Sixer Project Mechanically Completed and Road Testing   Aug 24 2012, 07:00 AM
shoguneagle   I have attached photos relating to the present wor...   Aug 24 2012, 07:08 AM
shoguneagle   I have attached photos relating to the present wor...   Aug 24 2012, 07:10 AM
shoguneagle   Drove the car today throughout the neighborhood. ...   Aug 26 2012, 09:13 PM
Andyrew   Drove the car today throughout the neighborhood. ...   Aug 27 2012, 11:33 PM
brant   please put a batter cover or insulated wrap on tha...   Aug 27 2012, 09:51 AM
shoguneagle   Thanks, brant. You are right. The battery as pre...   Aug 28 2012, 12:17 AM
shoguneagle   The pictures do reflect most of the work I still h...   Aug 28 2012, 12:35 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 01:48 PM