Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Mallory Unilite with Mallroy AL6 Wiring help needed, Electrical gurus please help me - Meltdown today.
wndsnd
post Oct 13 2013, 03:12 PM
Post #1

You wanted a horse, but got a goat. Nobody wants a goat....

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,124
Region Association: North East States

73 1.7 that I converted to carbs. Set the car up for a better engine someday, but I wanted this to be my sort out from the restoration.

Got the 1.7 in yesterday, and the starter turns it over fine. I have the fuel pump jumper per world instructions, (III on board diagram below) and that works fine.

So now I am on to checking out the new iginition system. Here is what I am working with.

Attached Image

The small red wants to be switched. I am taking it off the relay board pin next to the fuel pump jumper. (I on board diagram below)

To trouble shoot the ignition, the instructions say, disconnect the coil to dist post. Disconnect the large White wire that is used to trigger the ignition. Turn the ignition switch on, and hold the coil wire 1/4 inch from ground, and take the White trigger and ground. A large spark should jump from the coil wire to ground if the ignition is working properly.

So I set this up and turn on the ignition and I see smoke ....... The insulation melted off the small black all the way back to the AL6. Since I used that pick up from the relay board that is switched, but not fused, I must have created a good short.

So my question is, what about the wires that previously went to the old distributor off the relay board.

Attached Image

#7 which is on my car a large solid black I tied this in to the small black and the coil negative. Did this create the short. Should this wire be just insulated off?
Is there a better place to pick up a switch hot that would be fused than terminal (I)?

The #1 black/purple, I spliced into the yellow for the tach.

I also took the ballast resister out of the circuit while trouble shooting all this.

I hope I didn't completely toast the AL6

John
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 10:28 AM