Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mallory Unilite with Mallroy AL6 Wiring help needed
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wndsnd
73 1.7 that I converted to carbs. Set the car up for a better engine someday, but I wanted this to be my sort out from the restoration.

Got the 1.7 in yesterday, and the starter turns it over fine. I have the fuel pump jumper per world instructions, (III on board diagram below) and that works fine.

So now I am on to checking out the new iginition system. Here is what I am working with.

Click to view attachment

The small red wants to be switched. I am taking it off the relay board pin next to the fuel pump jumper. (I on board diagram below)

To trouble shoot the ignition, the instructions say, disconnect the coil to dist post. Disconnect the large White wire that is used to trigger the ignition. Turn the ignition switch on, and hold the coil wire 1/4 inch from ground, and take the White trigger and ground. A large spark should jump from the coil wire to ground if the ignition is working properly.

So I set this up and turn on the ignition and I see smoke ....... The insulation melted off the small black all the way back to the AL6. Since I used that pick up from the relay board that is switched, but not fused, I must have created a good short.

So my question is, what about the wires that previously went to the old distributor off the relay board.

Click to view attachment

#7 which is on my car a large solid black I tied this in to the small black and the coil negative. Did this create the short. Should this wire be just insulated off?
Is there a better place to pick up a switch hot that would be fused than terminal (I)?

The #1 black/purple, I spliced into the yellow for the tach.

I also took the ballast resister out of the circuit while trouble shooting all this.

I hope I didn't completely toast the AL6

John
ejm
So my question is, what about the wires that previously went to the old distributor off the relay board.

None of the original wires went to the distributor but two went to the coil.
#7 which is on my car a large solid black I tied this in to the small black and the coil negative. Did this create the short.

Yes
Is there a better place to pick up a switch hot that would be fused than terminal (I)?

The black wire that went to the coils #15 terminal is all the switched power you need. The diagram doesn't call for a fuse and the factory didn't fuse the coil circuit. The Mallory draws very little current and the MSD only uses that to know the key is on, the heavy draw is thru the big red wire.
wndsnd
Hi Ed

Thank you for your help.

So should I splice #7 and AL small red togethrr with black from Mallory coil.
And take itthem off "I"
wndsnd
Like this?

Where do I put the ballast resister?

Click to view attachment
ejm
Where do I put the ballast resister?

None is shown in the diagram and if you are using a coil Mallory considers compatiable with the AL6 there should be no need for one.
wndsnd
Coil was matched to the 6AL. I think it was the Unilite's instructions that said use the ballast.

Anyway I wired the two reds to the old black that went to + 15 on old coil and stilldead. I might have cooked something. I will mess with it tomorrow.
Also I am probabky missing something to drive the tach. I doubt it accepts square wave inputs.

Thanks Ed.
rhodyguy
with my 6al i use andy's pump jumper wire method at the relay board to the ground post near the board.
wndsnd
Hi Kevin,

I just yanked all the electronic stuff out and put in an old 022 Dist and a Bosch Blue.
Now, I can't find a stinking rotor for it. And, I can't find another disty I had lieing around, so I should have at least 3 rotors around the shop and nothing.

Frustration...... headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
QUOTE(wndsnd @ Oct 13 2013, 08:40 PM) *

I might have cooked something.

Unlite Module. Don't ask me how I would know about that ?? They aren't nearly as expensive as they once were is a good thing...

Also the tach output should be the same as original if installed correctly, I believe. Black wire at coil?

Good Luck
Ken
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.