Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> exhaust studs, broken exhaust stud
rickllyell53
post Jan 30 2005, 03:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,396

Hi everyone,
I have a 1973 2.0 that has an exhaust leak. I removed the shroud under the exhaust and could feel the leak somewhere around where the exhaust pipe seats against the cylinder head. The locking nuts used to attach the exhaust pipes were tight and seated so I thought the problem might be the copper gaskets.

While trying to remove the exhaust to inspect, I broke one of the exhaust studs. The locking nut was a thread or so from the end of the stud and the stud broke off leaving a couple threads protruding from the nut. In other words the stud broke near the end of the stud.

To get the stud out, I tried double nutting, but, there wasn't adequate threads to install two nuts.

So the $6 question, has anyone had this problem and how did you remove the stud?

Also does the factory put lock-tite on these studs?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Rick
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
rickllyell53   exhaust studs   Jan 30 2005, 03:12 PM
trekkor   You might try a metric jam nut. They're thinne...   Jan 30 2005, 03:24 PM
nebreitling   that sucks. i hate pulling the exhaust for just t...   Jan 30 2005, 03:49 PM
9146986   <...   Jan 30 2005, 04:07 PM
spare time toys   Well I had to pull the heads because of this when ...   Jan 30 2005, 04:39 PM
jwalters  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 07:11 PM