Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Just returned from viewing a 914, ... still very enthusiastic! But input is welcome!!!!!
thieuster
post Mar 25 2015, 05:20 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

My good friend Alan and I went 15 miles south to have a look at the 914 I mentioned earlier. In short: all signs are still 'green'.

First, it's an all original car with matching numbers (VIN #4732914419). It's protected from new (Dinitrol - sort of Wurth stuff) and no rust in sight. The D-Jet was a mess but it's now sorted with virtual all items replaced, rebuilt or renewed, including new filters in the tank etc.

In short, it's 80 - 90% perfect.

Some shortcomings: the car has been stored for 17 yrs. Complete with a lot of oil in the engine to prevent rust. Great. But... over the years, it started leaking some oil, starting at the pushrod tube seals. These should be replaced. The engine runs great, but after a few minutes, it starts smoking(!) The oil on the heat exchangers start to burn. And I presume there's a lot of oil on them.

Further, the early 90s paint job is awful. No other words for that. In a perfect world, it needs a new 'coat'.

The price is right (more that US cars, but it's very, very difficult to find an original European car, with matching numbers and no rust). For now, I think I need to drop the engine, clean all parts, replace the pushrod tubes + seals (any advice will be great!!!). That will also give me plenty of time and room to clean the engine bay and have the tins powder coated.

For now, all input is welcome.

Menno
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 03:33 AM