Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil Temperature Sender Substitute? RESOLVED!
GregAmy
post May 5 2015, 08:44 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,565
Region Association: North East States

Anyone have an acceptable substitute for the taco plate oil temp sender for the '73 combo gauge?

I have a 1974 car, but according to P914.com I have a 1973 combo gauge. The car also has an appearance group center console installed, but the oil temp gauge was not connected there; the sender wire goes straight forward through the harness to the dash. I'm guessing someone added that later.

My current problem is that the oil temp sender in the combo gauge just barely comes off the peg. At an indicated 220 degrees via the dipstick thermometer, the gauge is just about a needle width off the left white line, and rarely moves any farther. Given the variation in installed equipment on this car I'm guessing the incorrect sender is installed back there; since I'm about to do an oil and filter change I'd like to replace the temperature sender at the same time.

Info/ideas appreciated on this mongrel.

I've replaced the center console temp gauge with a VDO pressure gauge; Chris Foley has a nice steel-braided extension line that will allow me to remote-mount the VDO sender.

Alternatively, I actually have a '73 non-appearance group fuel gauge. If the engine has the correct sender for the appearance group oil temperature sender (how do I know?) then I can consider re-installing the oil temp gauge in the center console in place of the clock (which I've disconnected to reduce battery drain) and wiring that up instead, then install the '73 fuel gauge.

The joys of 40-yr-old cars...

Greg
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:33 AM