Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 1.7-4 engine help
FastFroggy
post Mar 30 2016, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,415
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I ran into a problem last weekend. Finally able to get some highway running last weekend. Unfortunately on a high speed run i suddenly got a plume of oil smoke.

I will be investigating in more detail this coming weekend, but appreciate any recommendation on what to check. I plan to inspect head cover gasket and oil filter & oil.

Here are a few notes I made:
a. I think the smoke started after I lifted off throttle.
b. head cover gasket appears to have failed again ( replaced only 15-30 miles ago)
c. I am running Webber Carbs, header exhaust and unknown 1.7l cam/piston set.
d. Oil pressure was maintained at all times ( Accusump shows 40psi- idle pressure)
e. I have an crankcase breather hose from the OE filler neck to a separator about 6-8inches over the filler to catch-can about height of OE filler neck.
f. I do not like the color of oil on the inner oil cap. ( looks a little milky ). If it was a water-cooled engine I would say head gasket.
g.underneath is coated with oil on driver side.

Thanks
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 08:07 AM