Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> trans/clutch help needed, who has been there/done that?
ottox914
post Apr 4 2016, 10:23 PM
Post #1

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Long time member just haven't been around much lately- new job, moving to new state, new house, house projects, friend blows up turbo motor in 914, takes some time to locate a good used 2.0 and get it installed, you know, the usual stuff.

So I get the replacement engine and my prior trans in the car, and baseline the SDS computer so it starts and idles. Try to select a gear and get crazy grinding. No matter how I adjust the cable, grind grind grind. From way to loose, to way to tight, can't get a gear. With the engine off, can select any gear with ease.

I start the car in 1st. And with the clutch fully in, we're creeping ahead. Try it again with trans in reverse. Now creeping backwards. This is not affected by the clutch adjustment- happens with a loose, tight, or to tight cable. Clutch seems to engage right off the floor, no matter the tension.

So it seems that somehow the clutch is not fully dis-engaging. Can we agree on that? So whats the deal here?

I'm thinking ball pivot. The plastic cup in the t/o bearing yoke was new, so that self destructing is not it. Could the yoke have popped off the ball? I haven't had anyone around when I've been working on it, so I haven't been able to have someone push the pedal in so I can see whats going on. Back to ball pivot. Possible the flywheel on my replacement motor has been milled a few to many times, and I need a washer under the ball pivot to get things back in alignment?

Any other ideas or experience out there to help me out here?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 10:21 PM