Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> windshield install - proof of how great this site is., had to say thanks and share the joy
iankarr
post Apr 24 2016, 10:20 PM
Post #1

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Hi Guys,

This weekend I re-installed the windshield and trim, using info from a bunch of the great threads on this site.

The PO set the windshield with way too much butyl and no trim...so it looked pretty gnarly. The glass was sitting too proud and low to just add trim, which is why I had to pull it out and reinstall.

I never installed a windshield before...but thanks to you guys it came out way better than expected and I thought I'd recap what I learned from this amazing community.

- Use piano wire to cut out the old butyl and remove the windshield
- Mineral spirits to clean up the butyl residue
- Chop off the old trim clips using a putty knife and hammer
- Dry-fit the windshield and use tape to mark the proper placement so it goes down right.
- Apply butyl primer before laying the butyl down
- Use 5/16 butyl bead
- Don't push too hard on the corners when setting the windshield
- The trim installs with a satisfying "snap" (totally!)

And here's one extra tip to add to the knowledge base... Buy a few extra trim clips. The stud can bend like a nail if you don't hit it just right.

Mark and his team at 914rubber.com produce gorgeous trim...and it arrived in perfect condition due to their careful packing. The dash pad and top are also from them.

Just wanted to say thanks and share some pics!
Attached Image Attached ImageAttached ImageAttached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 11:28 AM