Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tune up time, need some advice
Jameel
post Aug 21 2016, 07:02 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,239
Region Association: None

I've been driving the 914 since finishing up my side shift conversion, but now I'm looking into tuning up the engine and fixing some leaky push rod tubes. I've got a few questions.

First up, I think my engine may have been bored, but I don't know how to determine this. This is causing me some issue in figuring out how to set the dwell and timing since I can't just look up the specs according to engine size. The engine came with dual 40 Webers, so maybe that simplifies it?

Second, how do I figure out which dist. I have? It doesn't have a vacuum, just a small barrel-shaped attachment, like a solenoid or relay.

Attached Image

Third, I've got this hose just laying in the engine bay (yellow arrow) that leads to nothing. I'm thinking this may have been part of the fuel injection system? It's the lower hose coming from the left side firewall, before it transitions to a larger braided hose (yellow arrow)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Fourth, check the purple arrows. Should there be studs and nuts here?

Attached Image

Fifth, underneath the engine now. My boot that directs cooling air to the alternator is shot (red arrow) But I also found and area a little behind this that is open to the cooling fan (green arrow). Is this normal? It seems like this is an air leak causing less air to get to the cylinders.

Attached Image

After building a 1776cc for my bug last winter nearly from scratch, I'm debating on whether or not to just drop the whole shebang in a couple months and overhaul during the winter. Aside from the leaky pushrod tube, the engine does not use oil, and runs really strong.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 01:09 PM