Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> CV joint gone bad?, Noise while in gear but not when in neutral...
MikeInMunich
post Oct 13 2016, 01:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,674
Region Association: None

Greetings from Munich once again! Yet another issue to rectify, I believe...

I hear a "rambling" coming from the passenger side of the car. Thought it was perhaps the hub bearing, but when the car is rolling in neutral it stops. I'm thinking it must be the CV joint bearing. When I go over any small bumps in the road, I've heard a "knocking" and this could have two sources, one of which I eliminated and this distinctive knocking indeed stopped, but while listening for it, I became more attuned to the rambling sound, which I hadn't really noticed until recently. The knocking was apparently coming from my ECU which unfortunately was just lying next to the battery tray, as I have no bracket for it. Now it is properly secured and can't make any noises, YET...this rambling sound seems to also have a slight "knock" in there now and then as well. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So that's the description of my symptom, and my question is if y'all think my diagnosis is correct. If so, do I only need to change the CV joint bearings, or are there other parts I should also change along with them?

Update: just found, in Google search results, 914 Rubber offering CV joint bolts and a mention of "stop your CV joints from "banging around"" or something like that. So this PS CV joint may just be loose?

Thanks a lot for your time, feedback and advice!

Mike in Munich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 02:47 PM