Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CV joint gone bad?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeInMunich
Greetings from Munich once again! Yet another issue to rectify, I believe...

I hear a "rambling" coming from the passenger side of the car. Thought it was perhaps the hub bearing, but when the car is rolling in neutral it stops. I'm thinking it must be the CV joint bearing. When I go over any small bumps in the road, I've heard a "knocking" and this could have two sources, one of which I eliminated and this distinctive knocking indeed stopped, but while listening for it, I became more attuned to the rambling sound, which I hadn't really noticed until recently. The knocking was apparently coming from my ECU which unfortunately was just lying next to the battery tray, as I have no bracket for it. Now it is properly secured and can't make any noises, YET...this rambling sound seems to also have a slight "knock" in there now and then as well. confused24.gif

So that's the description of my symptom, and my question is if y'all think my diagnosis is correct. If so, do I only need to change the CV joint bearings, or are there other parts I should also change along with them?

Update: just found, in Google search results, 914 Rubber offering CV joint bolts and a mention of "stop your CV joints from "banging around"" or something like that. So this PS CV joint may just be loose?

Thanks a lot for your time, feedback and advice!

Mike in Munich
euro911
A bad CV joint will make more of a clacking noise under load (accelerating or decelerating).

Yes, I'd check for loose bolts in both the inboard and outboard CV joints first. New bolts are recommended any time the joints are reinstalled, even though a lot of folks don't do it. If they're all torqued to spec, there shouldn't be a problem with them loosening up.

You can check for hub bearing wear by jacking up the rear and checking the wheels for up/down or side-to-side movement (wobble).

Also, check to assure the rear shock mounting points are tight.

Check everything down there, including the brake caliper.

Torque everything to spec.

I had a noise in the same area and wondered the same thing ... that turned out to be a loose lug bolt, so check there too.
MikeInMunich
Thanks Mark!
Cracker
Also, check the pivot axle nut - make sure they are appropriately TIGHT. Don't ask me how I came up with this...probably not your issue here but a good thing to double check too! blink.gif

Tony
bdstone914
I have not heard the.CV bolts should be replaced but the Schnoor washers are a one time use ans should be replaced. Bolts need to be clean and free of grease. One good tip to know if they are backing out id put a dap of nail polish on the bottom edge of the bolt and flange. If the pint daps do not line up they are backing out.
76-914
Grab the half shaft in hand and slide it back and forth with force. Do you hear your clunking noise. If so, you've a bad CV. beerchug.gif
MikeInMunich
Thanks gentlemen,

I was under there today and each of the inside bolts on both sides took between 3 and 8 quarter turns with the ratchet. blink.gif The outside ones were all tight.

The sound does seem to be less than it was yesterday, but also doesn't seem to be completely gone either. I will check for that wiggle / clunk by trying to shake the axel tomorrow. The wheel bearings seem to be tight.

I'm not clear on where this pivot axel nut is. ??

M.i.M.
Cracker
Your's might be but "seems to be tight" = they may not be too. Have someone hold the brakes and with an extension bar at least 3 feet long tighten the spindle nut. 250 ft lbs. My snap-on impact doesn't have enough power. Had to do it manually to get it tight enough.

Regarding the pivot axle nut...there are two. The front of the trailing arm rotates on the pivot axle - nuts on both sides keep it in place and place pressure on the bushings.. They can loosen over time, re-torque.

Tony

QUOTE(MikeInMunich @ Oct 13 2016, 01:29 PM) *

The wheel bearings seem to be tight.

I'm not clear on where this pivot axel nut is. ??

M.i.M.
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(Cracker @ Oct 13 2016, 05:00 AM) *

Also, check the pivot axle nut - make sure they are appropriately TIGHT. Don't ask me how I came up with this...probably not your issue here but a good thing to double check too! blink.gif

Tony

Can you please let me know which is the axel pivot nut in this photo?
Click to view attachment

Thanks a lot!

M.i.M.
euro911
#24 and #29, on each side of the pivot shaft, at the front of the trailing arm(s)
MikeInMunich
QUOTE(euro911 @ Oct 14 2016, 12:44 AM) *

#24 and #29, on each side of the pivot shaft, at the front of the trailing arm(s)

Thanks again Mark!
MikeInMunich
Update: I originally posted about a mysterious, occasional "clunk". Not sure if i mentioned this in the original post but I suspect edit was the CPU as it's not attached to the battery tray.

Well, the car was at a local shop here near Munich to change the ignition switch and they checked everything mentioned here and even pulled the CV joints and regressed them. When I picked the car up a noise apparently coming from the CV joint, apparently more so from the passenger's side of the car, was Lou der than it was when I brought them the car. This noise, which I may or may mit have mentioned already above, isn't loud but consistent and kinda like a rrrrrrrrrr sound, which decreases in volume noticeably when I step on the clutch.

Time to change the CV joints out, soon?

Your thoughts and time are much appreciated!

Thanks a lot! beerchug.gif

Mike in Munich smilie_flagge6.gif

P.S. Germany was just ranked the best country in the world again, by the Economist, and most news about the refugee crises makes the situation over here sound like the country is in a virtual state of chaos, which isn't remotely close to the case whatsoever. Come visit!
euro911
If the 'rrrrr' noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal, I wonder if it's your throw-out bearing (or 'release bearing' as some call them)?
MikeInMunich
hmmm. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to consider that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.