Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> My Track Dash Reconstruction
vintage914racer
post Nov 21 2016, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,473

Long story short, a couple of years ago I had premature engine failure on my 914-6 track car. If you're bored you can check out part 1 and part 2 of my engine misadventure. Otherwise, I'll continue on the the regular scheduled dash programming...

We all know how the slippery slope works and before you knew it I had the car apart in hundreds of pieces tackling various "cheaper" projects while amassing engine parts and waiting for the engine builder. One of the projects I wanted to tackle for years was a dash rebuild. You see this car has been a track car since 1972 and judging by the great number of patches to the existing dash I wouldn't be surprised if it was original to the track car build.

Attached Image

At any rate the dash was riddled wtih holes, a complete rats nest of wires and a melange of various metallic and composite (fancy word for cheap plastic) finishes. My goal was to set about cleaning up the aesthetic, going a bit modern on the gauge front and clean up the wiring with a new fused junction box. And so it began...

The first step was making a trip to the local metal supplier. Now, if you're in Minneapolis you shoudl check out Discount Steel. As a complete metal shopping newb I was a little apprehensive, but upon arrival the folks were friendly, overwhelmingly helpful and generally a good lot. Armed with a couple strips of aluminum sheet I headed home.

Attached Image

I proceeded to trace my old dash panel with a Sharpie and cut out a new panel. After some trimming, fitting, trimming, fitting, trimming and re-fitting I settled on a fit that I was happy with. If you're wondering why all the trimming let's just say I'm a measure 12 times and still cut wrong kind of guy.

Attached Image

After a bit of drilling I had the panel mocked up and in place.

Attached Image

Satisfied with the fit I moved on to the next step...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd June 2024 - 07:05 AM