Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> It runs! It drives!, Phoenix has risen!
Porsche Rescue
post Jun 25 2003, 09:27 PM
Post #1

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Group: Members
Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

At long last I have driven my prize. Last summer I bought a 30,000 mile Phoenix red '74 from the original owner. He had shown it and autocrossed it for many years. He blew up a race engine, decided he
had put enough time and money in it,and offered it for sale on the Rennlist. I got the car and a palet box full of engine pieces delivered from Tennessee to Oregon last October. While negotiating to buy it, I found a '74 2.0 in pieces here locally. Car had been dismanteled and engine rebuilt in 1984. Went through two owners before me, the fresh engine never installed or filled with oil. I bought the project and sold all but the engine/trans (rust free body went to Camp 914 and from there to a guy with real deep pockets who is having a Ginther look-a-like street racer built from it). Craig Laughlin (Camp 914) helped me install the engine a few weeks ago.
Finally got it together and ready to start. After correcting a couple of my boo-boos (forgot to connect tranny ground strap; had distributor 180 out), I lit the fire today. What a car! Has adjustable Konis, big brakes, short shift, hard bushings and truly only 30K miles. It's like a new 914. Did a 20 minute cam break-in in the garage, changed the oil and put 50 road miles on. Tomorrw I adjust/sync. the carbs and get the timing a little closer. Hope to have enough miles on her by 7/20 to bring her out at our next PCA autocross. Life is good (no oil leaks yet)! (Also must credit JP Stein who loaned me his engine jack and held my hand a bit while I fumbled around trying to light the fire).
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 12:31 AM