Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Oil Capacity on a Stock 2.0L, Help out a n00b
RangerRhett
post May 1 2005, 08:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,620

Hey guys...

I have only had my teener for about 4 weeks and I am just now getting to do a complete PM overhaul...

I am planning on doing the following:

Oil Change
Gear Lube Flush
Brake Fluid Flush
Air Filter (if needed)
Fuel Filter (if needed)
Rotors and pads (if needed)
Valve Gaps
Timing

I have a few questions, if you all will permit me...

RE: Oil Capacity
Got started today and got the oil out with no problem. I also pulled the strainer to drain whatever else I could. Why is it, that when I put the plug back into the pan, and add 2 quarts of oil, the oil on the dipstick is almost 1/2" over the top mark?

RE: Timing
Okay, I am a young feller, and I have little to no experience on adjusting timing. I am completely confident in my abilites as a shadetree mechanic, but I need a, "Setting Timing for Dummies;" or "Distributers for Dummies;" if you know what I am saying. I have a Chilton's, a Haynes, and a Shop Manual for the 914. Unfortunately, they assume that their reader has some base knowledge of the process, of which I do not (verbiage and all).

I have a timing light (craftsman), feeler gauges and the whole bit. I know the following (correct me if I am wrong)...
Put car in 5th, grab one of the rear wheels (while the other is on a ramp) and turn it until you see the Top Dead Center mark on the blower (fan)...hook up your timing light to the battery and cylinder one on the distributer cap...(I think)...
After that I am lost...

I hope I haven't wasted members' time and space with this request. Your advice is respectfully asked and, if given, will be duly appreciated. My sincere thanks to all who respond.

RR
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
RangerRhett   Oil Capacity on a Stock 2.0L   May 1 2005, 08:41 PM
!   Should be 3-3.5 quarts...did ya pull the filter? ...   May 1 2005, 08:44 PM
RangerRhett   I did pull the filter... I just can't figure ...   May 1 2005, 09:17 PM
!   Well...my first question would be...stock motor? ...   May 1 2005, 09:20 PM
RangerRhett   Yeah...stock motor...I am sure it is the correct d...   May 1 2005, 09:27 PM
Cap'n Krusty   When reinstalling the screen and sump cover, NEVER...   May 1 2005, 09:46 PM
!   And don't use blue RTV or braided brake lines....   May 1 2005, 10:35 PM
Aaron Cox  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 12:47 PM